BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with some of the vehicle regulations for Norway or western Europe? I am planning on shipping my '92 Pathfinder over to Norway in July and I am trying to get as much info as I can before I go. I have heard rumors that they have very little tolerance for modifications like lifts etc. I am planning on keeping the truck as stock as possible but I am concerned about running larger than stock tires and having them stick too far outside of my fenders. Or even being able to run a mud tire on the roads there. Also things like emission and electrical regulations that will require a lot of #%@! and $$$ when I get there! Has any one ever been or have any contacts for offroad clubs there? I have done some searching online but haven't been able to find anything yet. Also, is anyone planning on doing any shipping over to western Europe around that same time? If so, we could possibly share a 20' or 40' container. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Um, wouldn't it be cheaper to just sell your truck and buy a new one there?

And won't it need to be right-hand drive?

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Goof:
Um, wouldn't it be cheaper to just sell your truck and buy a new one there?

And won't it need to be right-hand drive?
Most countries are left-hand drive. Exceptions are England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (I think), and that's about it. Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, The Netherlands, Belgium, etc are all left-hand drive. I don't know for sure about the Scandinavian countries but am 99.9% sure they are also left-hand drive.

BTW, left-hand drive is the most common orientation throughout the world with only a few exceptions. In Asia, Japan and HK are right-hand while China, Taiwan and other countries are left-hand.

I spent some time late last year driving a right-hand drive car in Scotland and aside from occassionally forgetting which way to look at the round-a-bouts, my main problem was shifting. I think I would have much preferred a left-hand drive car ... as long as I had a passenger who could tell me when it was clear to pass.

My main concern would be the eye-popping gas prices over there. I found it expensive to keep our 3-cyl Opel running when we were doing a lot of driving on the continent a few years ago.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would sell the truck. Gas prices are double what they are here. It would be cheeper to get a car or a nice truck with a diesel engine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Don't bother, sell it here, you'll get a far better rig over there - you can get all kinds of cool rigs like Landcruiser diesels etc.

Also some of the inspections will automatically condemn your vehicle, in germany for instance ANY rust will send your vehicle to the junk yard. Check out your emissions too because Euro 3 is in effect and it may not meet the code.

------------------
475,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's nice to know, since I just bought one that was imported from Germany maybe 6 months ago, and had been mostly in a garage since!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't have much advice other than to let you know that vehicles sell there for 20-24% more than they do in Canada, I do know of a company that handles Moving entire estates (Which I hear includes cars) to other countries (ALL other countries). The company is called "All Ports International" and is in Delta under the Alex Fraser Bridge, give them a call and see if they can help you.

Cheers!

------------------
1989 SUBURBAN 4x4 5.7L 4" Lift - BFG's
1988 Toyota 4Runner

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies ... I am taking it because it makes the most financial sense. I have done a lot of research on this and that is why I made the decision to take it. Norway has a near 100% vehicle tax in place so because of this vehicles there are much more expensive than even Sweden that is right next door. My wife is Norwegian and in moving there we are allowed to take in one vehicle each tax and duty free. Some prices for example are a '93 Toy runner with over 200 k with no power options sells for over $35,000 CAN! and that is where most SUV type vehicles begin. For the $8k that I could get for my truck here, I'd be driving a corrolla! blah! Plus it only costs me $2000 to ship it over there. So for $10,000 I have a vehicle worth $30 and I have a vehicle I know everything about besides it will be worth it's weight in gold just being something I can take off and do to escape the craziness of a new life and culture and inlaws!!! So that's why I'm takin it. I am hoping I can trade it once I'm there on one of those nice diesels!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I have cousins that shiped over an 19 Chevy Astro to England from Tenesee(sp?). They have not had any problems with insuring it, or emissions. the only thing is it's too big to fit on some of the roads in England

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, 3 wheels
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts