BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 60's, during the the flooding of the Arrow Lakes Region, studies were implemented by the government looking into the need for highway connectors, rather than ferry services. One such highway had been planned for construction from Fauquier/Applegrove (Needles ferry currently operates on the Arrow Lakes at Fauquier) southeast to Passmore. This highway would have followed the Koch Creek/Octopus trail. Due to government miscalculations, the groundbreaking never occured. However the trail traversing this section of the Selkirk region still exists and provides some great scenery. The run could be done within a day, with an early start, however making it a weekend trek would seem more appropriate. The trail is rough, but passable. I'm afraid that I have no pictures of this area in mind as I had discovered this trail by chance while driving the TFL one day, and inquired about its intents thereafter. [The Arrow and Kootenay Lake Forest Districts Recreation Map clearly shows the trail in mind]

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where exactly do you start and where do you come out? Sounds like a good tent trip!!
Originally posted by hay:
Back in the 60's, during the the flooding of the Arrow Lakes Region, studies were implemented by the government looking into the need for highway connectors, rather than ferry services. One such highway had been planned for construction from Fauquier/Applegrove (Needles ferry currently operates on the Arrow Lakes at Fauquier) southeast to Passmore. This highway would have followed the Koch Creek/Octopus trail. Due to government miscalculations, the groundbreaking never occured. However the trail traversing this section of the Selkirk region still exists and provides some great scenery. The run could be done within a day, with an early start, however making it a weekend trek would seem more appropriate. The trail is rough, but passable. I'm afraid that I have no pictures of this area in mind as I had discovered this trail by chance while driving the TFL one day, and inquired about its intents thereafter. [The Arrow and Kootenay Lake Forest Districts Recreation Map clearly shows the trail in mind]

------------------
http://www3.telus.net/tazuki

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can begin or end on either side of the pass. I'm definitely more familiar where the trek starts on my end. Towns out here are very small and not likely on too many standard maps. However, locate Hwy 3A between Castlegar and Nelson. Midway between the two cities is the Hwy 3A and Hwy 6 Junction. Head North on Hwy 6 for appx. 10 or so Kms, until you reach the village of Passmore. You will see a Utilicorp substation just off to the right of the highway, as well as a blue sign with "Valhalla Drinnon Pass" pointing left. Take the left and keep driving straight (or stay left), all the way for 5 kms. This will lead you directly onto the Slocan Forest's TFL one. From this point you're better off with the FSR map than reading my directions. Anyways, the trip basically starts at the Koch creek entrance and onto Octopus Creek trail. You will exit off in Fauquier or better known as the Needles ferry landing. Total trip is appx. 60 kilometers. I hope this answered your question.

------------------
I've used up my sick days, so I'm calling in dead, and I'd like three funeral days along with my weekend off.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was just planning a trip up their in the next few months to go to the hotsprings all in that area plan on doing it in june or july

------------------
Treading Heavily

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, either month sounds good to me for a run. Depending on which way you decide to come, you can enjoy the hotsprings first, then trail ride... or trail ride, then hotsprings. Heh heh. Either way it sounds like a hell'o'
va' great way to spend a few days. Let's work out a good day and time as it gets closer.

------------------

·
Registered
920 Posts
Hey guys make sure you count me in on this to! Hay i might not be in Calgary on easter weekend, would the snow be off the hill by then??? Still dont know if i'll be out your way by next weekend, if i am we should try together to get as far as we can to try and see around that old highway, sounds like a great trip! keep in touch!

------------------
slightly modified pathfinder, still 235 tires soon to grow into 31's. Always remembering to KEEP THIS SIDE UP

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went up Koch Creek last Sunday to look at early access. Slocan Forest has not been plowing the road this winter. No logging activity up that way. My tires are too small to even make the atempt. However snow seems to be well packed due to active snowmobiling. It's questionable for me. Jeeps, etc probably wouldn't have a problem.
Mt Sentinel is looking pretty bare however. Might be worth a trail ride up there.

------------------

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm in too. Went for dig last nite, to try my new hubs, worked awsome. Let us know when you are planning this trip.

------------------
88 Ranger 4inch sup lift 3 inch body swaped in 4.0 8.8 rear dana 35 up front 33 12.50 swampers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts