BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Duff 3.5" kit in my truck (coils, bushings, hoops, shocks and 11 pack leafs) It rides great, but I'm getting alot of wandering on the highway. All the bushings were replaced except for the radius arm bushings close to the frame. The ones I had are polyurethane and look to be in good shape. Could this be a caster problem? I put the 6.25 degree bushings in at the same time. Nice kit, but I wish the truck would drive a little nicer!!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by belize:
I just installed the Duff 3.5" kit in my truck (coils, bushings, hoops, shocks and 11 pack leafs) It rides great, but I'm getting alot of wandering on the highway. All the bushings were replaced except for the radius arm bushings close to the frame. The ones I had are polyurethane and look to be in good shape. Could this be a caster problem? I put the 6.25 degree bushings in at the same time. Nice kit, but I wish the truck would drive a little nicer!!
Did you put the C bushings in the right way? you can create some interesting caster combinations if they are indexed wrong.
We are assuming that it didn't wander like this before the lift, and the tires are decent?

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the bushings were installed correctly for sure. (I triple checked!) I didn't have the handling problems before the lift, but it wasn't as high either. The rest of the truck is in great shape...I'm running brand new 35's as well. How can I check if I have enough caster, and if not, how can I change it?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
What year of truck? 76-77 steering linkage goes weird when lifted, and the 66-75 is extremely prone to bump steer. The lift (and bigger tires?) will accentuate any old problems, like tie rod ends, ball joints, loose steering shafts/box. The best handling improvements I ever made to my EB (I did lots) were
1)14.5" steering wheel.
2)cut down F-150 steering linkage.
3)new ball joints.
Another thing to check is the rear of the truck. are both leaf packs installed the same way? U-bolts tight? any funny business in the rear will feel like steering issues.
One time I thought for sure I was losing a front wheel, it turned out to be a broken rear main leaf. The next time, I knew where to look, and my new U-bolts were totally loose on one side. Remember to retorque after a day and a week of driving!

------------------

·
Registered
53 Posts
did you install a dropped pitman arm?Alot of wander can come from improper tie rod alignment due to the T type steering rods.Check a 79 f truck you'll see it has the Y type rods.

------------------
79 Bronco 33" 3.50,300,4spd now

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm getting alot of wandering on the highway. I'm running brand new 35's as well.

If you put on wider tires, that may be what your feeling. I know my tires wander around a little on the highway when I catch one of the grooves made by the big rigs.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the insights guys...but I don't think that I'm experiencing bumpsteer. I have a 3" drop pitman arm, and I'm running the '72 steering settup (with the '76 frame) The drag link is angled a little, but is the same as the trac bar...I'll go and get a caster reading done today. Jim and Duff says you should have 4 degrees positive caster for proper handling. The ball joints are in good shape.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Thanks for the insights guys...but I don't think that I'm experiencing bumpsteer. I have a 3" drop pitman arm, and I'm running the '72 steering settup (with the '76 frame) The drag link is angled a little, but is the same as the trac bar...I'll go and get a caster reading done today. Jim and Duff says you should have 4 degrees positive caster for proper handling. The ball joints are in good shape.
4* at the bare minimum. within reason, more is better.

------------------

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I did the F-150 disc swap on my '70 (with a D-44 of course) It's a simple knuckle out conversion...the hardest part is finding the parts. It is best if you find a complete D-44 and swap everything over. The most work is getting the steering linkage to work as the 1/2 ton tie-rods are bigger. I had my tie-rod cut and threaded (both ends) and I'm using a short left side tie-rod on both ends... works like a charm and is way beefier than the stock Bronco settup. If you have any problems just give me a shout... the Chevy settup would allow you to use the same knuckles and steering settup...again, it's just finding the '75-76 Chevy with a D-44 for parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.