BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 76 cj-7 on 83 frame and suspension.d30 in front amc 20 in rear wide track.i am thinking about doing a spring over but trying to figure out what all is involved.right now i can stuff 35 without touching.the jeep has three inch body lift and huge shackles maybe a bit of lift on the springs.this is the way i bought it.i want to get rid of the body lift and the huge shackles but still be able to stuff 35s.i find the ride i am getting now is horrible a result of the body lift and shackles is my guess.i have extended brake lines so what else?driveshaft legthen shorten?i understand the perches have to be took off and rewelded which would take care of driveline angle and my shims.longer shocks(how long is too long?)the front is what confuses medoes my steering get messed with?my other question is this i have had no luck with shops around locally, both for going well over there said price and about how long it will take.anybody have good comments about a local shop?or does anybody know of someone that has done one and might be willing to make some cash on a weekend .i have a shop, access to a mig welder and could access a compressor. thanks

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
email me off line, i have done n8's and agent scully's SOA as well as my own.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Brakes - You already extened your brake lines, but you'll probably have to do something about your ebrake length as well.

Welding - like you mentioned - spring perches.
Driveshafts - you'll be looking at lengthening, but it'll probably be cheaper to get a longer driveshaft from a junkyard and get it shortened. A springover is about 5-6" of lift. You're looking at some pretty steep driveshaft angles so maybe consider using a CV shaft.

Shocks - Could be an opportunity to redo your shockmounts that would allow you to run even longer shocks. But basically wait till you do your SOA, then you can easily measure the shock length required.

Steering - A dropped pitman arm will help reduce the draglink angle. Ideally you'd wanna do a high-steer conversion which would run your whole steering ABOVE the springs and reduce bumpsteer, but a dropped pitman arm will let you get by until you are ready for that.

35's on an AMC 20 and d30... i hope you have a light foot ;)

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Maybe consider getting the steering knuckles cut, turned and rewelded to get the best front driveshaft angle and maintain the caster on the diff.

I saw in a magazine once, a nice CJ running 38's with these same axles and a AMC360 mildly done. Overcourse he did the one peice axles in the AMC20. It was featured in a Fourwheeler or 4wheel&offroad mag.

Depends on how well you abuse your vehicle, I guess:confused:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just about finished a leaf over on my cj7, all i have left to do is the rear brake line.

problems that you will probally come across-
steering- the drop link touches the leafs when fully turned to one side(i heated it and bent mine a little, i know you are not susposted to but what ever)
drive shafts-front-will be need to be lengthed
-rear-go with a cv drive shaft
brakes-E brake- should be ok, if not grined off the braket and re-weld it a few inches back and add a few inches of calbe before it.
-extended brake lines should be ok.
drop pitman arm is a MUST
that should be it if you have any questions i took pictures of everything just e-mail me or put up a post.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
desteurm said:
Maybe consider getting the steering knuckles cut, turned and rewelded to get the best front driveshaft angle and maintain the caster on the diff.
When I cut and turned my knuckles, I installed the steering linkage and eye-balled various measurements when I had the yokes positioned at the desired angle. That's when I noticed that the tie rod would be hitting the spring packs if I went with the current angle.
Make sure you consider clearance under the spring pack!!

mr jeep said:
the drop link touches the leafs when fully turned to one side(i heated it and bent mine a little, i know you are not susposted to but what ever)
My solution for this same problem was to weld a 1/2" spacer on top of the perch to provide just enough clearance btwn the drag link and spring pack.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.