BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 22re with 340k. Has been rebuilt I was told, not sure when. It doese't burn or leak oil enough to be of a concern maybe a half liter between changes. I have added a AFM from a 83 supra and put a cone filter on and a supra 60mm TB and bored out the intake were they meet. I have installed a used header I traded for (Brand not known)with a 2.25 exaust to the stock muffler with no cat. Also relocated the battery to shorten the intake pipe witch is now a turbo 90 deg elbow (smooth and clean) I replaced plugs. I was going to open up the Supra AFM and enrich the fuel by probably one tooth. I have not cammed it yet but when I find the right deal I will. Is this enough? it seems to be pinging a bit right now. Another question, the hump behind the TB on the inside of the intake, Is it a coolent passage? or exauste from the ERG? I have found conflicting ideas on the internet but I want to grind it out compleatly. Also will this have a negative impact. I do realize the main problem with the 22re is the air flow thru the head and valves. But so far all my mods have been very very low cost and just doing what is cheap for now. I have done alot of reading but am hoping for some one who has done this or just knows more than I.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are looking to richen up the mixture because you are pinging I would first check you timing and also double check you plug gap... I don't know much about swaping the Vain AFM on toyotas but I have delt with it on mazdas.. Opening them up and changing spring tentions is the last thing you want to do... I am guessing you changed the AFM because the Supra one has a larger bore?... The throttle body will most likely be coolant or idle bypass tube I don't know any throttle body's that have EGR flow threw them... Going to a higher grade gas, backing the timing off a little, or even closing up the gap on your spark plugs will also help with getting rid of your ping..

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
problem with these"mods" is the OE computer .. you will need to piggy back it to be able to "tune" the mods ..
other wise it's pointless .. the OE computer will just continue to do as programed , or head to "limp" mode

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
a new computer or an additonal computer that ties into the stock computer .. this engine is computer controlled !! ... the stock computer wont recoganize the mods .. it will think there is a "problem" with rich running engine possably .. and "switch" in to limp mode ..

·
rhino hunter
383 Posts
before you do anything make sure the valves are adjusted to spec.you can have them a little tight and any vacuum leak will make your engine ping like hell.that can lead to catastrophic failure.you shouldnt have to do anything to the base timing, leave it stock.the comptuer can take care of that as long as the base timing is correct.also if your egr has a vacuum leak that will cause pinging.useing higher grade gas might help.i have a cam in mine and low grade just doesnt cut it.once you change the maf your computer will go nuts.all these mods are nice but its the old saying"keep it simple".make sure your O2 sensor is good.dont use after market there.get the Denso sensor.a faulty O2 will make you eat gas like crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.