BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just replaced my timing chain because i heard this ticking sound coming from the engine and i realized that the guides were broken to peices but now when i put the whole engine back together, the ticking is still there, and it even sounds a little worse. what could it be? ive thought about maybe the valve springs being too loose but what can i do to help it if the book says to tighten them to only 8 and 12 thousandths of an inch

------------------
-Ryan

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had a ticking noise and replaceed my timing chain guides because they where broken also.After replacemeant still made noise.Thought maybe it was timing chain took of valve cover and checked again looked ok.Went to pull brother out of mud pit and spun a crank bearing.I would maybe check your bottom end bearing for slack all you have to do is remove pan to check.

------------------
"Born and Bred To Rip and Shred"

·
Registered
416 Posts
Valves maybe?

I have almost the same thing (before and after doing my timing chain it sounds the same) and it's my power steering tensioner pulley bearing that's shot. It doesn't sound like I'd expect it to...I swore it was the chain.

$10 part

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yup same here. You need to remember that these motors are naturally notoriously noisey. Lots of valvetrain tick is normal...lots compared to most other motors that is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I replaced my chain, guides, tensioner etc., on my truck when the guides blew and got a ticking noise a few days later. The hydraulic tensioner was a dud and I had to pull it back apart and replace it. What a pita! Is the ticking affected by reving the engine?

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya the ticking is kinda related with the reving. i sure hope its not a false tentioner

------------------
-Ryan

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not likely, but possible to be worn out cam lobes. As well, i talked to a guy at a cam shop, and he says you can tighten the rockers a little bit more that 8 and 12 thou, but not much. I did it to my toy, It helped, Power increase as well.

------------------
80 Toy. 90 4runner 22re efi conversion
35 mud kings 5.29's
11"(ish) lift
(and some other goodies cam, borla muff. ect)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i thought that was a possibility. thanks for the info. ill try to tighten them soon.

------------------
-Ryan

·
Registered
81 Posts
My valves are adjusted down to 7/11 thous and it quieted the engine down a lot.

------------------
1986 Toy pickup
Locked, geared, winched and EFI converted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts