BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lockers...what are they,what do they do,which is the best type for all-around use (most time spent on pavement) how much am I looking at in terms of $$$?

------------------
Stock '89 x-tra cab
31" A/T's
Lotsa squeaks and leaks!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Check out this link. It is someone asking almost the same question. http://www.bc4x4.com/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000079.html

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
WOW my post is used again

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Registered
237 Posts
If I do not lock my hubs(manual locker, limited slip I think) Will I be in 4WD if I just move my Tcase to 4hi or 4lo or am I just in 2WD with a free spinning front drive shaft

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Originally posted by Jeepasaurus:
If I do not lock my hubs(manual locker, limited slip I think) Will I be in 4WD if I just move my Tcase to 4hi or 4lo or am I just in 2WD with a free spinning front drive shaft

I think you are getting things confused here. A locker is in the differencial. It has nothing to do with 2WD/4WD. If you have manual hubs, you must lock them to be able to use 4WD. Locking the hubs(turning the things in the center of you front wheels) attaches your front wheels to the front drive shaft. If you don't lock the hubs you are just in 2WD and spinning your front drive shaft and axle.

A locker is spart of the differencial. It makes sure that both (left and right) axles are allways turning.

If you follow the link in my earlier post I have an explenation of the different differencials(open/limated slip/locker/spool)

Hope this helps

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited November 30, 2001).]

·
Registered
51 Posts
so is it bad to drive fo ra bit witrh your hubs locked and still be in 2wd??? and why if yes?? thanx....

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Its not bad to drive in 2wd with your hubs locked. The only thing that is happening is your front dif is spinning because you have locked your wheels to the axles. But with the truck in 2wd there is no power being applyed to the front axle. The axle and driveshaft are just free spinning. You probably dont want to keep your hubs always locked because it will put a bit more wear and tear on your front dif, but for short periods its fine. If anyone can explain it better feel free. Hopfully this post doesnt confuse you too much.

------------------
76 Jimmy 4" lift,3" body lift, 36.5" tires,lights and other great stuff.
www.teamrush.web.com

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
its probabally good to engage your front axles everynow and then (assuming your not 4x4ing every spare second you have). this helps lube all the inners.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

1 - 8 of 8 Posts