BC 4x4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhh... My same old story, same old song and dance...

I grow weary of Terrace. Love the town and what it has to offer outdoors-wise, but my job satisfaction is going down the pooper, and there aren't a lot of other opportunities up here in my line.

So the question is, where to move next?

I was looking at jobs in the South Okanagan, like as in Oliver, or Kootenays... Maybe William's Lake, but the apparent crime there isn't too appealing. I sort of want to be closer to Vancouver since my Grandparents' health is failing, and 15 hrs of driving isn't my cup of tea. I also want it to be cheaper to live as far as rent goes. Do any places with those attributes exist any more in BC?

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Why not consider Grand Forks? Christina Lake and the two rivers provide great summer recreation, and the people are generally a friendly lot. The local gun/wildlife club is active (indoor shooting range), and the variety of micro-climates in and around the area makes for a wide range of rec opportunities. You go from desert to lush valleys, to alpine elevation views (and wildlife) within a small geographic area.

You can skip across the border to Spokane for "big-city" stuff, yet get back to "Happy Valley" in no time. It's one of the few east-west valleys in BC (glaciation generally produced north-south valleys), so you get sunshine without the normal 'mountain shadow' cutting short your days.

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
nelson is a great town. the wifey is from there and we visit often. i love it there...nice lil town. close to christina lake. 8 hr drive to the lowermainland, although winter conditions can be an issue on the 3. castlegar airport to YVR is also an option should you need to be back pronto.

not sure how things on the job front down there...but if youre a budding entrepeneur, theres plenty! :*******

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
X2 on Nelson but it is not cheap. But is sure is beautiful. Oliver use to be reaonable and there are lots of trails in the surrounding hills. Plus, it is close to Vancouver. GF, as Dale says has a lot going for it also. Trail has great people and the best Italian restaraunt in Canada but I would not like living under the Smelter. I think Kamloops is still quite a good spot in terms of housing prices and being central to everything - including some of the best trails and trout fishing in the province. A lot of people live a bit out of town on an acre or so and commute in to work in less than 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
X2 on Nelson but it is not cheap. But is sure is beautiful. Oliver use to be reaonable and there are lots of trails in the surrounding hills. Plus, it is close to Vancouver. GF, as Dale says has a lot going for it also. Trail has great people and the best Italian restaraunt in Canada but I would not like living under the Smelter. I think Kamloops is still quite a good spot in terms of housing prices and being central to everything - including some of the best trails and trout fishing in the province. A lot of people live a bit out of town on an acre or so and commute in to work in less than 20 minutes.
When I was offered a job in Kamloops 2 years ago I turned it down due to housing prices...

And ditto on Trail. I don't know how comfortable I would be with living in what Environment Canada calls a permanently contaminated site...

I heard wonderful things about Nelson and was considering it before I moved to Terrace even. But ya, them real estate prices!

I'll take a looksee at Grand Forks. 8 hrs driving to Van is my cut off! If I was closer, I would get more out-of-town guests. No one wants to drive up to Terrace, it would seem!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
You might find that housing prices have come down in Kamloops. Like most of the non-tourist interior towns and cities, its economy relies a lot on forestry. So if forestry is going good, then all the support industries have a lot of staff. If it is bad, then they are laying staff off. Which of course within a few months results on more housing on the market.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Surrey is nice this time of year

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
If I were moving out of Vancouver I would be thinking Kamloops would be a first choice....
Close yet far from the city and the outdoor life sure is amazing up around there....
Have you thought about the island?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If I were moving out of Vancouver I would be thinking Kamloops would be a first choice....
Close yet far from the city and the outdoor life sure is amazing up around there....
Have you thought about the island?
Ahhh, Kamloops. Nothing like that smell of black liquor from the local mill.
I worked a shut down of that mill while I was still going to BCIT and that smell was stuck in my nose for several days after I returned home.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I worked a shut down of that mill while I was still going to BCIT and that smell was stuck in my nose for several days after I returned home.
That's the smell of money, man! As long as you don't live in Brock the smell ain't so bad. Westsyde's the nice rural part of town and you rarely get any smell there. I'll take the pulp mill over lower mainland smog any day.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Crimes no worse in Williams Lake than it is in any other BC town thats growing.
Theres a buncha car thieves around but I think its the same few that
are doing most of it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
im moving to osoyoos at the end of next month. nice town and seems like a good bunch of people.

Only really bad thing i have had happen in the 12+ years ive been going there was having my truck broken into and my xbox stolen out of the back and i had my mirror smashed off and my door kicked in as i was leaving the liquor store earlier that night.

I dont know what kinda job your looking for but the commute to penticton isnt really that bad either.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

What, you don't like that smell? It wafts up from Kitimat sometimes, and my man comes home smelling like it. Yummy... Get thee to a shower!!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Crimes no worse in Williams Lake than it is in any other BC town thats growing.
Theres a buncha car thieves around but I think its the same few that
are doing most of it.
Isn't it in the top five of crime in BC? I actually don't mind Willy's Puddle... Horsefly is pretty! Is it expensive for rent/real estate?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im moving to osoyoos at the end of next month. nice town and seems like a good bunch of people.

Only really bad thing i have had happen in the 12+ years ive been going there was having my truck broken into and my xbox stolen out of the back and i had my mirror smashed off and my door kicked in as i was leaving the liquor store earlier that night.

I dont know what kinda job your looking for but the commute to penticton isnt really that bad either.
I like Penticton. We used to vacation there every summer when I was growing up. I have fond memories of the smell of rain on hot cement and forest fires... But it's expensive, isn't it? I want somewhere where I can rent a house or somewhere I can have a dog, and I'm not really into apartments.

I'm a LPN, so work near a hospital or like place would be good. And the thing I hear about Interior Health is that if you're a casual, you can work at all locations, which is cool b/c you only get hired once, not for each place like other authorities...

·
Registered
204 Posts
WL is fine, lived outside of likely til 2000, horsefly was almost home, but was better house here, so now im at the end of a logging road 50 miles east of 100 mile

prices are crazy everywhere, i got my 12ac, 2400sqft 4yo house in '00 for 150k, i can get 300k now, but i cant find anything cheap to cash in on it..the moar south you go, the higher it is...grew up in castlegar, love it, cant afford it, etc...

both 100 mile and WL are hurting from the mills, but WL is getting a walmart and costco

·
Registered
204 Posts
was at the neighbors last nite watching the game, his son was visiting someone in the WL hospital, looked out the window and 3 indians were breaking into his truck...he ran as fast as he could in flip flops, but they out ran him...cops were too late, broken window in door behind driver

·
Registered
406 Posts
I dont understand why land is so high in BC. Years ago when I was working up north in the Grand Prairie AB region as soon as you crossed into BC ( Fort St John area) the price just doubled. Plus the work was all on the AB side. Most of them on the BC side where driving to AB for their job.Anyway sure was a lot of bugs up there. I like it in spots from Williams Lake down to Douglas Lake. Nice horse country here and there. South Western BC is nice in certain spots but I dont know what kind of work if any is there. That whole Province is expensive and over regulated. If you want affordability with reasonable chance of a decent job I would go to SK. Things are definately booming there. Especially in the SW with oil and gas developement, bio fuel plants and world demand for potash fertilizer. Perfect time to buy a property there. Sort of like how AB was 10 years ago.
I always found the people in that province to be really nice too. Course if you like Vancouver your not going to like any of the places I like(grin)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts