BC 4x4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
WL is getting a walmart and costco
They've been talking about that for years (I haul for Walmart). I guess originally they had a site picked out on the rez then reconsidered, and I believe its supposed to go in on the west side I think..

Merritt's not a bad town to live in, I thoroughly enjoyed it there, plus you're close to Kam and Van. Besides the case when that asshat shot his kids the crime there is pretty low, even in downtown. LR

·
Registered
204 Posts
They've been talking about that for years (I haul for Walmart). I guess originally they had a site picked out on the rez then reconsidered, and I believe its supposed to go in on the west side I think..

Merritt's not a bad town to live in, I thoroughly enjoyed it there, plus you're close to Kam and Van. Besides the case when that asshat shot his kids the crime there is pretty low, even in downtown. LR
I haul for them too :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
got my prop tax assessment today

up $70,000 to $240,000

all the lower mainlanders selling for $1,000,000 and buying up the area

property tax is still only $900 though

·
Registered
204 Posts
You must live in the ritzy part of the "grove".............
my mail goes to the grove, but im in the sticks

10ac of bush, not forest just went for $80k ~1mile from me

not serviced, hydro and ph at teh road

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I dont understand why land is so high in BC. Years ago when I was working up north in the Grand Prairie AB region as soon as you crossed into BC ( Fort St John area) the price just doubled. Plus the work was all on the AB side. Most of them on the BC side where driving to AB for their job.Anyway sure was a lot of bugs up there. I like it in spots from Williams Lake down to Douglas Lake. Nice horse country here and there. South Western BC is nice in certain spots but I dont know what kind of work if any is there. That whole Province is expensive and over regulated. If you want affordability with reasonable chance of a decent job I would go to SK. Things are definately booming there. Especially in the SW with oil and gas developement, bio fuel plants and world demand for potash fertilizer. Perfect time to buy a property there. Sort of like how AB was 10 years ago.
I always found the people in that province to be really nice too. Course if you like Vancouver your not going to like any of the places I like(grin)
I'd seriously LOVE to live in SK, or even in the Maritimes, but I can't move that far away just yet. I want somewhere that I can drive ome easily in one day (8 hrs max. I hate doing 15 hrs in one day...). My SO actually got a job in Moose Jaw, I love that place (he turned it down as it wasn't his cup of tea after all).

RE: Walmart and Costco in WL, they have also been saying Home Depot and Costco was coming to Terrace since I moved here three years ago. Don't hold your breath...

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know what it's like to live there, but I always liked the Princeton area. Is there a hospital there?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I don't know what it's like to live there, but I always liked the Princeton area. Is there a hospital there?
There are two care facilities there: assited living and extended care. The F'n Liberals killed the hospital as a full service hospital. This has in part lead to a doctor crisis in Princeton. They had a couple surgeons who were also doing GP work. However, who wants to commute daily to Penticton. Princeton people are free to die on their way to Penticton for treatment. What really burns is the people of Princeton paid a lot of money they raised for both the hospital and the extended care facility but the decisions are all made by the Liberal appointees at Interior Health.:angry

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
There are two care facilities there: assited living and extended care. The F'n Liberals killed the hospital as a full service hospital. This has in part lead to a doctor crisis in Princeton. They had a couple surgeons who were also doing GP work. However, who wants to commute daily to Penticton. Princeton people are free to die on their way to Penticton for treatment. What really burns is the people of Princeton paid a lot of money they raised for both the hospital and the extended care facility but the decisions are all made by the Liberal appointees at Interior Health.:angry
Hey come on man, the Liberals cut EVERYTHING to not only meet their budgets but to exceed them and they did that. So a few people died, what is the death of a loved one compared to the government meeting its agenda? Hey they did so well, they were able to give themselves a raise, despite legislating other workers back to work with nothing.

Come on, I'm mean really, what's wrong with you? Where's your sense of civic pride?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'd seriously LOVE to live in SK, or even in the Maritimes, but I can't move that far away just yet. I want somewhere that I can drive ome easily in one day (8 hrs max. I hate doing 15 hrs in one day...). My SO actually got a job in Moose Jaw, I love that place (he turned it down as it wasn't his cup of tea after all).
A couple of years ago you could buy a nice house in anytown SK for $5000 to $15,000. Right now there gone up over $50,000. Farm land has also doubled in the last couple of years but im thinking the prices are still going to go way up. Well they have a long ways to go before they aproach AB levels. Good opportunity there to get in the housing market.
Im actually originally from the Maritimes. I have no desire to go back. Dont know why anybody would want to move there? Its to regulated. You basically have two families down there that own everything. Doesnt matter what you do for a living there is always somebody willing to do your job for less money.
When I think about the maritimes I just remember bad things and frustration. Instead of Canadas Ocean Playground for a motto they should have No We Cant for a motto.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
A couple of years ago you could buy a nice house in anytown SK for $5000 to $15,000. Right now there gone up over $50,000. Farm land has also doubled in the last couple of years but im thinking the prices are still going to go way up. Well they have a long ways to go before they aproach AB levels. Good opportunity there to get in the housing market.
Im actually originally from the Maritimes. I have no desire to go back. Dont know why anybody would want to move there? Its to regulated. You basically have two families down there that own everything. Doesnt matter what you do for a living there is always somebody willing to do your job for less money.
When I think about the maritimes I just remember bad things and frustration. Instead of Canadas Ocean Playground for a motto they should have No We Cant for a motto.
I just think the Maritimes are gorgeous, and real estate is dirt cheap. Additionaly, the nursing practice is more advanced in both those places then in BC. I have a friend out in NS and he never has anything bad to say about it. Sure, the wages are lower, but so is the cost of living. I love the architecture of the houses in both SK and the Maritimes as well. I'm a sucker for old houses with the weathered old hardwood floors and carpenter or craftsmen style...

·
Registered
406 Posts
What does your friend do for a living?
About cheap land down there. I wouldnt agree. Course I havnt priced it lately. But even though the economy sucks, land always sold high compared to the economic opportunities of the area because of all the rich Germans buying everything. Course the Germans are just looking for waterfront or farmland.
When I lived down there most contractors/businesses had there cards wrote up in German instead of English. I asked why they did this and was told that the Germans were the only ones who had any money to build/buy anything.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
What does your friend do for a living?
About cheap land down there. I wouldnt agree. Course I havnt priced it lately. But even though the economy sucks, land always sold high compared to the economic opportunities of the area because of all the rich Germans buying everything. Course the Germans are just looking for waterfront or farmland.
When I lived down there most contractors/businesses had there cards wrote up in German instead of English. I asked why they did this and was told that the Germans were the only ones who had any money to build/buy anything.
He was in managment. I just herd he may have gotten oil fever and will be moving out this way again. Ha ha...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Haha Thats funny about your friend.
About SK. Was reading the other day that nurses in SK are all going to be getting a pay raise.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Haha Thats funny about your friend.
About SK. Was reading the other day that nurses in SK are all going to be getting a pay raise.
I'd love to move there, since there are a lot of specialties available for even LPNs to work in out that way, compared to just two in BC (and you don't get a pay increase either). But right now my aging grandparents are on my mind...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So sweet! Mine are gone - cherish them while they're around to appreciate it!
Yes, that's how everyone describes, me.... sweet... tee hee

But what you say is true, there's so much I want to learn from them still. And I have the training to beter assist them, especially with my Grams having Alzheimers and all... But I DO hate moving. It's one of the biggest stressors in life, even more so then financial according to recent studies...

·
Registered
332 Posts
From what I have heard, WL is getting a walmart, but I have not heard anything about Costco. if you live out of town some places are pretty cheap. Prices might fall, logging is getting harsh. Alot of logging companies and mills are shutting down.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I really hated to move. First, college, then the first rented apartment, then I moved to my fiancé's house ... Recently, my husband received a better job offer and we had to move to New York. It wasn't too far from our old house, but I really was very worried about furniture, dishes, my craft tools. My husband promised me that he would find the best furniture movers . I really didn't disassemble or pack anything, this was done by my husband and employees of the moving company. They brought our furniture and began to unload it before we arrived. Everything is really in order with our furniture, I didn't find scratches or dirt. Perhaps if you also turn to professionals, the move will take less than your time and you will not be in such stress ...
Good lord. Spam bot much? This thread is over a decade old and I'm on my third province so far. I can't even remember how to flag an admin FFS!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Good lord. Spam bot much? This thread is over a decade old and I'm on my third province so far. I can't even remember how to flag an admin FFS!
Hey Kelly!

I don't think an admin would do anything about it anyway.
This place has been taken over by the spammers.

Spammers are the only way this place keeps it's forum statistics up....

21 - 40 of 47 Posts