BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrance Martin is putting together a proposal to the CRD regarding access to the trails at Sooke. He's proposing a pilot project for this summer to allow 110 people and their trucks to access the area behind the Harbourview gate. Each person will pay $155 for the privilege.

Why so much? If I understand things correctly, $17,000 is what the CRD estimated it'd cost to establish a gate system to allow motorized vehicle access into the proposed park area. Obviously, they're unlikely to put up that much money just to see if fourwheelers can responsibly use the trails. They would rather we disappeared.

So SIMRAC (South Island Motorized Recreation Advisory Council) is trying to raise the money itself. If it gets enough people to pledge to pay the money and participate in the pilot project, SIMRAC will make it public and formally propose it. But first they need to find 'wheelers willing to step up to the plate.

IMO, this is why it is important to support this initiative:
  1. Some of those opposed to motorized recreation have accused fourwheelers of being too dis-organized to stand up for their sport. This will prove otherwise.
  2. One of our arguments for supporting motorized recreation is that it will bring economic benefits to businesses near fourwheeling trail systems. Spending $155 for access to this area, just for the summer, shows we're serious about our sport and have the money to spend on it.
  3. This is an important opportunity to prove that fourwheelers can responsibly use a sensitive area, and co-exist with other outdoors groups.
  4. It will really piss-off the anti-motorized recreation groups. ;)

$155 is only two tanks of gas (for some of your poor bastards, it's only one). If you've never 'wheeled in the Sooke area, this is a golden opportunity. This place is ideal for stock to mildly built 4x4s. Some of the best 'wheeling trips I've been on involved exploring the trails here in my mildly built YJ. Don't miss out.

If you need a guide to the area, we can hook you up with some people over there. I might even have a trail map from years gone by.

BC4x4 has already pledged to buy one of the spots. Please support our sport by taking part in this very unique opportunity:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=109180542447933

Who knows, if there's enough people from the board to sign up, we could make a group trip out of it.

...lars

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't facecrack, so I can't view the link. Does it have a date? Is there a proposed date yet or is it going to be interest based? If there aren't enough interested to make it viable to do, is the money refundable?

·
Registered
451 Posts
the money will only be collected if the CRD gives the go ahead. right now he is just trying to see how many people are intrested, thanks for Posting this Lars! ive already commited to buying 1 as well. i hope this works out as im moving back to the island May 1st. the dates are planned for June-August and i believe you will need some sort of pass or sticker to enter, and no you cant bring your buddies if you have a pass so if you wanna go buck up!

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the money will only be collected if the CRD gives the go ahead. right now he is just trying to see how many people are intrested, thanks for Posting this Lars! ive already commited to buying 1 as well. i hope this works out as im moving back to the island May 1st. the dates are planned for June-August and i believe you will need some sort of pass or sticker to enter, and no you cant bring your buddies if you have a pass so if you wanna go buck up!
I wish I knew if I'd have a truck by then or not. But for now, we'll just get one for Wil's truck, even though it's seriously overbuilt for those trails. It was the perfect trail system for daily drivers that were built-up a bit, plus the trails actually went places so you didn't have to back track, and the scenery was nice, too.

...lars

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Heck if I could get a solid three day weekend of trails in I'd be willing to sign up for a spot. If people don't know the area I'd suggest they look at any of the IRC Rock Crawl trip reports on BC4x4

http://bc4x4.com/tr/2002/rc/
http://bc4x4.com/tr/2000/rc00/rc00.cfm
http://bc4x4.com/tr/1999/rc99/rc99.cfm

I'd also suggest that maybe the SIMRAC should consider a proposal where they build a gate to the CRD's spec. I suspect a group of wheelers could come up with the material and labour to do the work for less than 17k. Maybe the SIMRAC could also administer the key program under supervision from the CRD. That could be a great pilot project for other areas like eagle or stave. Just a thought.

·
Registered
451 Posts
knowing CRD they will want the money and contract there guys to build the gate. i have no issue with that. like i said on the page about someone saying no to the idea that the people willing to pay that kind of money are going to be alot more responsible with the area. i am super stoked this has come up... i really hope it leaves a positive imprint on the hiking community that we are willing to stand up for ourselves and prove that we are responsible. go SIMRAC!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't facecrack, so I can't view the link. Does it have a date? Is there a proposed date yet or is it going to be interest based? If there aren't enough interested to make it viable to do, is the money refundable?
Lars.
I don't do facebook either but I'd like to pledge the money so how do I go about doing that without going thru facebook? You got a contact email addy or some such?
Thanks Lars. I know Robin and I both appreciate it.

Robin: we going together? Hotel or camp? Call me.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Weird, I thought I posted this last night but I don't see it, so here it is (again):

You can reach Terrance Martin at: offroad AT tfmartin.net

He'll be happy to add you to the list.

...lars

·
Registered
601 Posts
We are hiking the West Coast trail in July - this would be a great little side trip before coming home. Will send an email to Terrance for a spot on the list.

Derek

·
Registered
451 Posts
he is doing a good job for the OHV community but he needs to stop attacking the other party's like SIMBS, theyve been through this before and know what it takes, and he needs to understand that there will need to be a compromise. he wont get everything in one go. id hate to see us get access at the anomosity of other groups. id rather see harmony.

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
Heck if I could get a solid three day weekend of trails in I'd be willing to sign up for a spot. If people don't know the area I'd suggest they look at any of the IRC Rock Crawl trip reports on BC4x4

http://bc4x4.com/tr/2002/rc/
http://bc4x4.com/tr/2000/rc00/rc00.cfm
http://bc4x4.com/tr/1999/rc99/rc99.cfm

I'd also suggest that maybe the SIMRAC should consider a proposal where they build a gate to the CRD's spec. I suspect a group of wheelers could come up with the material and labour to do the work for less than 17k. Maybe the SIMRAC could also administer the key program under supervision from the CRD. That could be a great pilot project for other areas like eagle or stave. Just a thought.
wow, some great trip reports and pics. thanks for posting those up...those look like some killer trails. id love to be able to plunk down the cash and join this event, but aug is already booked for me. doesnt look to 80 friendly though by the looks of the pics. are these the types of trails you're talking about lars?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow, some great trip reports and pics. thanks for posting those up...those look like some killer trails. id love to be able to plunk down the cash and join this event, but aug is already booked for me. doesnt look to 80 friendly though by the looks of the pics. are these the types of trails you're talking about lars?
Yes.

Some of those trails would be a bit much for an FZJ80 (R.I.P., for sure) but many of them would be ok. It's the trails near Duncan that would really be too narrow and twisty. But I'd be hesitant taking an XJ on some of those ones, too, unless it had an exo cage.

...lars

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI, Terrance wrote this on the People who want off road recreation Facebook group:

We are nearly there! In _one_ day we gained commitments from the off-road community for well over twenty thousand dollars to make this happen.

Pretty awesome. Good goin', everyone!

Meanwhile, the SIMBS (South Island Mountain Bike Society) wrote this to the CRD:

Dear CRD Regional Parks Committee Members:

I am writing to express our disappointment with the CRD Parks Committee’s March 17, 2010 decision to table the draft management plan for the Sea to Sea lands.

The South Island Mountain Bike Society (SIMBS) advocates for mountain biking access on southern Vancouver Island. We have a long and cooperative partnership with CRD Parks and we have actively participated in the planning process for the Sea to Sea lands since the beginning.

At the outset of the formal planning process in 2006, it was clear that motorized vehicles would not be accommodated in the park for two reasons. First, covenants placed on the property prohibit motorized access, and second, in accordance with the CRD Parks master plan, motorized recreation is not permitted in CRD parks. SIMBS participated in the planning process in good faith, as did the public and other interest groups. All parties knew that motorized recreation would not be permitted in the park.

The Parks Committee has now deferred a decision on the plan based on concerns from off-road vehicle enthusiasts. If the Parks Committee wants to consider allowing motorized vehicles in regional parks, the appropriate forum to do so is the parks master planning process, as it applies to all regional parks. That process is currently under way, and it includes public and stakeholder consultation.

For the record, the SIMBS board believes that off-road vehicle enthusiasts need places to recreate. We understand that CRD plans to consult with Western Forest Products and the Province and report back on options for off-road vehicle recreation. SIMBS supports those discussions.

However, it seems disrespectful of the extensive public consultation associated with the draft management plan and CRDs own policies to defer a decision at this stage.

The CRD Regional Parks Committee should recommend that the draft management plan go to the CRD Board for approval because it complies with the parks master plan and it has widespread public support. We respectfully request that you do so immediately.

Sincerely,

Original signed by

Scott Mitchell
President

It's easy to say that motorized recreationists need a place to recreate but the simple fact of the matter is that they're trying to keep us out of the Harbourview / Sooke trails.

Meanwhile they're fighting other battles to try get mountain bike access into trails where enviros and hikers don't want them. They seem to think it's ok to share where they're trying to get into areas that are off-limits to them, while thinking that it's not ok to share where they've already got access to other places.

...lars

·
Registered
451 Posts
how come they keep calling it a CRD park when it is owned by TLC and only managed by the CRD. plus i know alot of mountain bikers that use to use those fireroads to shuttle the trails in HV, now they cant do it and its quite a ride into some of them.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.