BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been lurking here since June, so I guess it's about time that I join the conversation. My name is Dean, I'm in Keremeos, and I drive a '93 Lada Niva. I'm on the ExPo forum and Overland Canada Forum as well as this one.
I've been roaming in the hills around here for most of my life in various cars, pickups and an FJ55, and on a bunch of bikes. I'm really enjoying the Lada right now, but I'm on the lookout for a bigger family size wagon to go with it.
That's it.
TTYL

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
welcome dean :beer pass through keremeos all the time en route to visit the kids' grampa in nelson. was always wondering if there was anything in that area worth checking out. osoyoos is often our overnight stop if we split the trip. if you're looking to play tour guide of the area...id be into checking it out or hearing about possible trails with good camp spots, small lakes..etc. my father in law often meets us half way for a camp, so been trying to come up with some spots.

hows the lada do as an overlander? lets see some pics! oh..and you know theres no other for a family wagon than a cruiser ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I don't mind being in the minority. I'm always driving and riding oddball vehicles. They're usually more fun than boring belly button rides.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
welcome dean :beer pass through keremeos all the time en route to visit the kids' grampa in nelson. was always wondering if there was anything in that area worth checking out. osoyoos is often our overnight stop if we split the trip. if you're looking to play tour guide of the area...id be into checking it out or hearing about possible trails with good camp spots, small lakes..etc. my father in law often meets us half way for a camp, so been trying to come up with some spots.

hows the lada do as an overlander? lets see some pics! oh..and you know theres no other for a family wagon than a cruiser ;)
I spent a long time in the Kootenays, and get back to the Nelson area quite often myself, but usually on my streetbike.
There are a few good little lakes around here, but they tend to be fairly popular and easy to get to. My ususal camping spot is Conkle Lake which is a provincial park, but it's perfect for the kids. It's 25km off the highway, just west of Rock Creek. It's too easy to get to, so it's full on the long weekends, but my family really like it.
Iwill have the Lada off the road for the next month or two for some upgrades. I'm building a receiver hitch, bumpers and a roof rack, and maybe a small lift. I am a :welder so I can't resist messing with it. I wanted to put on some Hankook Dynapro MTs, but I keep spending the money on my motorcycles...
The Lada is pretty nice on the highway and rides smooth in the bush. The only drawback is it's too small to go too far with the family in it.
I know what you are saying about the Land Cruiser. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a diesel 60 model next , but I am tempted to find a Scout II to play with. I definitely need something wider inside than my old FJ55, and I prefer diesel if possible.
I only have one pic of my Lada, at home in the driveway when I first got it. Wait until I get the bumpers on it and I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
65 Posts
welcome
love the lada wish i had one
any way we dirt pike ,snowmobile, or good old wheeling in the area all the time as i got a place on green mountain rd at the bottom of apex
hope to see you on the mountain :beer_cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts