BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told that I can clear 33x9.5 on my 93 by just cranking the tosion bars and adding an add-a-leaf or extended shackles. First will 33x9.5s fit with just that 1.5-2" or will I need to also remove flaps and bash in the firewall. I would prefer to leave the flaps where they are if possible but not a huge deal otherwise. Can I fit anything wider in a 33 than 9.5 just cranking the torsion bars or would anything else require further lifting (ie. 1-2" body lift)?

In the rear is there any difference in performance/ride whether I add a leaf or use extended shackles? Is there any reason to choose one over the other?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have been cautioned against cranking the t-bars all the way so I don't think that I will do that. Although I would like to keep my center of gravity as low a possible I would still rather lift a little then hacking fenders. I suppose I could hammer the seam and swap my mud flaps for fender flares if I had to. This is my daily driver so I would like to keep the on-road handling as best I can while still gaining a little in ground clearance.

For winter driving I was thinking of staying with a fairly narrow tire (9.5-10.5ish) but I was also looking hard at getting Big-O MTs which seem to only come in a 33x12.5. Maybe I will have to settle for BFGs and head to Costco afterall.

I can't afford a 4" kit so what do you think is a good middle ground? 1" torsion bars and 2" body? I can get any size body lift made up for basicly free. Could that fit a 33x12.5 without hacking fenders. If not what else would be needed.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you can't get the 4" lift and you want to avoid a body lift then I suggest running some 32x11.5 mud terrains. I ran them with a little torsion bar crank(1") and a 1" add-a-leaf in the rear and they fit perfectly. I don't think your going to be able to sqeeze 33's in there without a lift, they'll rub like hell when you turn unless you do like you said and bash the fenders in but I think they'll still rub when you go wheelin.

------------------
91' Yoti with the Son of the Devil screaming at you from behind the wheel!

·
1,269 Posts
The shackles will give you more flex than an add-a-leaf, but will cause more axle wrap.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had 33 9.5 on my truck(same as yours) completely stock.I had no mud flaps,the rear tires when twisted up would pop the chrome fender trim off,so I took them off,tires never touched metal.the front tire under full compression and full left or right would rub on the plastic innar fender well liner at the fire wall,but it did not hit any metal so i just trimed the plastic alittle.
oh and they were bfg mud's on the stock alu. 15 by 7.

------------------
Its done.44044's,chevy's,9012's,36 swampers.and it still fits in the garage!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts