BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some basic tire advice and hoping someone on this board can help!

I have an F350 crew cab (yes, it's a pig!) with factory sh*t tires. No good in the mud. I'm not a serious off-roader, but need better tires for mud and snow as we have property with 4WD access only. I want to keep my stock rims and purchase new tires. The existing size is 265 75R 16 load range E.

I've always been happy with Michelin LTX M/S and ATX but the M/S doesn't come in load range E.

Anyone out there have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do they have to be load E?
I had Hankook Z-36 on one of my old trucks and they wore very well. Never had a puncture. Good in rain.

I just bought BFG AT for my F-150 the other week and they ride pretty awesome. Awesome in rain. Thick mud no so good, it makes for some nice F-1 style slicks. Not even noisy either. I'll talk more later.

------------------
'92 Ford F-150 Inline-6.
Stock drivetrain, 31' BFT AT, cd (loud), cb (broken but now new), K&N filters (oiled), chrome trucker girls on the back window (Lisa and Louise), dedicated Beer cooler.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Check out the BFGs. They come in some good Load ranges(www.bfgoodrichtires.com). What year is the Ford? You should be able to fit the 285/75R16 (33x11") tire no problem clearance wise. What width are your rims? If they are only 6", I would then suggest the 255/85R16 (33x10"). If you have alot of muck, I would then suggest the MTs over the ATs.

I was upcountry last week and showed my dad first hand how bad stock AT tires are in a little bit of a muddy hill. Makes him consider mud tires a little more.
The BFG MTs are really not any louder than the ATs (so I have been told by friends that have had both). I have MTs on my YJ and do not find them loud. I even siped them and they stick like glue to wet pavement.

YMMV
Wes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses. Ya, the load range has to be E (it's a 2001 super duty, heavier than I'd like it to be but you should see the size of my kids!). I'm quickly finding that few manufacturers are making the 10ply tire for this size of vehicle. I might just have to stick with the Michelin M/S although I would have prefered the ATX.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
My father-in-law is running the Perelli Scorpions on his F350, and they have been one of the best rated all terrains...we run up past D'Arcy thru the mountains on a Hydro Road to get to their cabin. There can be lots of snow and mud in the snow shed and he has no problems...they are also load range e. I'm not sure what sizes are available but for a street/highway friendly all terrain tire, I would recomend them...good luck.

------------------
78 Bronco 351M SM435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you want a good source for info on Super Duties check out www.ford-diesel.com. As far as tire size is considered you can mount up to a 305/70 16 on the stock rims without rubbing. I know that SuperSwamper makes Super Swamper SSR's as well as TrXus in a 10 ply in 285/75 & 305/70.

JP

------------------
99 F250 Super Duty,7.3PSD,reg cab,auto, 4"Procomp lift, 315/75 AT KO's, Rhino Liner

[This message has been edited by strong_like_tractor (edited July 27, 2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts