BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, need some advice. By 1989 5.7L motor is getting tired at 240,000kms and probably needs some work soon, so I was thinking about rebuilding it and then thought why not buy a crate motor or something. Anyone have any advise on new motors vs. rebuilt and what motor should I look for to replace mine? I pull alot an 4wheel alot so I definately want more than the 200hp I have now. Also what kind of $$$ am I looking at. Thanks alot.

------------------
1989 SUBURBAN 4x4 5.7L 4" Lift - BFG's
1988 Toyota 4Runner

·
Registered
345 Posts
Rebuilding a running motor is definately cheeper than buying a crate motor.
If you rebuild it definately do bearings and get new rings. You probably have lost some compression through the valves at that milage so get a new valve grind.
Now for a little more performance Get a rv cam and lifters. If you want a fair bit more performance think about a aluminum intake aftermarket manifold(edlebrock should make one for your truck) And a nice set of vortex heads should bolt up to your motor which on a stock application the heads will add 30hp alone.
Except to pay:
$180 for the cam/lifter kit
$400 for a rebuild kit gaskets rings Cam/ lifters pistons BAP sells one for this price and the cam comes with it
$400-$600 for votex heads in the buy and sell. Well worth it in my opinion
Good luck CHEVY RULES

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Whats the labour on a rebuild worth usually>?

Originally posted by Ewan Glendinning:
Rebuilding a running motor is definately cheeper than buying a crate motor.
If you rebuild it definately do bearings and get new rings. You probably have lost some compression through the valves at that milage so get a new valve grind.
Now for a little more performance Get a rv cam and lifters. If you want a fair bit more performance think about a aluminum intake aftermarket manifold(edlebrock should make one for your truck) And a nice set of vortex heads should bolt up to your motor which on a stock application the heads will add 30hp alone.
Except to pay:
$180 for the cam/lifter kit
$400 for a rebuild kit gaskets rings Cam/ lifters pistons BAP sells one for this price and the cam comes with it
$400-$600 for votex heads in the buy and sell. Well worth it in my opinion
Good luck CHEVY RULES

------------------
1989 SUBURBAN 4x4 5.7L 4" Lift - BFG's
1988 Toyota 4Runner

·
Registered
38 Posts
a 89 will have a TBI motor with the center bolt valve covers.
some of these motors used roller lifters from the factory and there are only a couple of cam options for them and the stock ones are pricey!:eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
A couple of cam options??? Look harder bud there are a ton of aftermarket cams by several manufacturers. Don't just look at HP either. A 4x4 uses more torque than HP to grind uphills, pull a trailer, rock climb, etc. There is a lot of options for your injected motor but beware of the "chips" you can buy as some just lockup the convertor sooner and run the engine temp 10 degrees cooler. I have a chip burner for my own use as I run a 1974 datsun 260z with a dual tbi on a tunnel ram atop a 350. I am making 428 rwhp with gas mileage to boot. You can also get remanned tbi's that flow 40% better than stock to up the power curve as well. Do some research and ask a lot of ??????? Just my $0.02 here!! as usual ;) ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
What a good idea I never thought of that. I did not think of running dual tbi's to get the horse power range I am looking for. I know a single tbi is good to about 275hp. If you could post or e-mail how you set up your engine, like are they stock tbi's used from a donor? or are they holley ones?, did you have to re-program the computers? and do they run off one computer brain or two?

-----------
'78 3/4T 350 chev

·
Registered
19 Posts
Going to a dua;l system like mine is a lot of work and you need to learn alot about it in order to burn the new PROM chips. You can get a remanned TBI from Canadian High Performance Discount located in B.C. My TBI's are stock reman's since I am running duals the larger ones for my power range were not needed. There is a guy in the states running the same system with larger TBI's on a big block and is reportedly getting 600+HP!!! I am running the stock 747 computer and the second TBI was spliced in to the harness VIA GM OEM connectors. GM runs a high voltage to fire the TBI's injectors so lowering it by adding a second unit does not harm the firing. I went dual cause I scream the motor but you may not need it unless you want big HP. If you want more than say.........350HP than dual or aftermarket will probably be needed. IMO!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the info, and you are definatley right I am going to have to start learning alot more about tbi's. Did you have to send your computer brain away to be reprogramed, for your engine specs? Where did you send it? and you said there are different sizes, I was unaware of that, or do you mean like running a 454 tbi on a 350? And what would a single larger tbi horse power range be? as far as i know tbi's for a 350 stock or after market are 275hp which is a little lower than I would like. I am wanting 350streetable horse power.

----------------------------
'78 3/4T 350 chev

·
Registered
19 Posts
You can buy rebuilt and flowed replacements that have 40% better flow and are good for 325ishHP. I have a chip burning program and chip burner that I did a lot of learning and burning with on my own. The TBI from all V8's are the same but the V6 ones are smaller but bolt on. If you run a big cam that is not meant for an ijected motor the M.A.P. sensor will give you some greif like mine did so try to stick with an injected camshaft. Also I have the adjustable pressure regulator so I just dialed 2lbs more. The flowed TBI with the adjustable regulator can build a good 325 to 350HP MAX.;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
freind of mine is a cam grinder by trade..he could probably get you a decent deal on a wicked cam....and a decent price on the rebuild kit...

·
Registered
536 Posts
try richmond engines in port kells talk to jim he'll let you know the best for your application may even have dyno results for ya aswell
if you want his # just email me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts