BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 questions.. can someone help out...

1)what the largest size tire that the stock zuk gears can handle including off-roading, nothing to hardcore, but average, non-locker required trails..

2)the largest size that 5.13's can run on the same non-locker required trails..

3) can a tire with a width of 12.5 be mounted on the stock zuki rims?

thanks for the help..

·
Registered
185 Posts
im running 31's on my sami, with the stock gearing...... its fine for trails and town driving. but if your planning on hitting the freeway i'd re-gear, because i wind up topping mine out at about 90 km/h haha
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I assume you are talking about a Samurai

1. IMO anything more than about a 235/75 starts to bog the sami down with stock gears, especially hard on the clutch when off road. I have run 215's, 235's, 30x9.50's, 31x10.50's and 33x12.50's (briefly) on stock gears. It sounds like you don't want to do much in the way of modifying, so a 235 is pretty much the limit without some lift anyway.

2. The 5.13 sidekick gears compensate perfectly for a 38" tire (37" tall)- well beyond the capacity for the stock axles to handle. That dosen't really look like the way you want to go.
stock 4th gear w/ stock diff [email protected] with 27" tall tire= ~3900RPM
stock 4th gear w/5.13'[email protected] with 37" tall tire=~3900 RPM
Lots of people run these gears with smaller tires in the 32-33" range and just deal with the extra RPM and limited top speed. It is annoying on the highway though, trust me.

3. No, don't even think about it. In general the accepted minimum for a 12.50 is an 8", allthough I have run 33's on a 7" with no problems. Your stock rim is about 5.5".

For a mild build up of a fairly capable truck, why not just SPOA with 31's and hunt down an 84 tcase or save up for a rock lobster? If you decide to raise the bar later, throw in a locker or two and maybe some 4.62's with 33's and you will really be in business!! Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
gotta agree with mouth breather...

crawl ratio with 31's sucks on stock gearing.

You can still drive anywhere... I even use 5th gear sometimes believe it or not... you better make sure your engine is making it's full 66 stump pulling hp though.

David

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey, thanks for all the info... im runnin 5.13's right now with stock zuki axles, and was wondering if i threw on 35's how long i'd go before replacing the axle.. this includes mild off-roading.. rock crawling, and mud and that jazz.. would that be possible?
wat if the axles were trussed?
thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts