BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying tires and couldn't help but notice that Motormaster Roughrider M+S and Big Foot XT have the same tread pattern.
Wondering if anyone knows if they are the same? ie: does Big O manufacture both tires?

------------------
81 BJ42 not so rusty anymore

·
Registered
358 Posts
I asked the Big O dealer about that and he said that only the mold is the same. The rubber compound and side wall material is different.
Don't know if he was being straight up or not.

------------------
'94 XJ - 3" RE lift, 31 Big O XT
'97 F250 HD 5" custom lift, 33" BFG AT

·
Registered
453 Posts
roughrider's use a far less quality casing as far as i know, and you can't beat the Big O warranty, this is coming from a fountain tire guy

------------------
Project MudhuckerII is now underway and movin ahead

·
Registered
50 Posts
This first tires I had on my truck were stock sizec Motormaster M&S. Excelent tires. Probably true about the compound cause those babyies lasted 4 years winter and summer.
Pavement is HOT in the Okanagan and soft compunds melt off at the parking meters never mind driving.

------------------
4x4pics

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a set of Big Foot CT's, they are identical to the XT's except with a commercially rated (ie tougher) casing - or so I was told at the time of purchase. I had to get them to search hard to find the CT's in 235/75/15 size, seems like they were more available in larger sizes.

I don't have any experience with the Motomaster version, but they often go on sale and they can be A LOT cheaper! But then you have to deal w/Crappy Tire....

I have been really happy with my CT's, they have seen a lot of rough gravel without losing any chunks of rubber, and they have worn reasonably well, even though they are pretty soft and it gets hot here in the summer. They grip well on all kinds of terrain, they are even pretty good in mud.

And you just can't beat the warranty - any other decent LT tire is prorated at best.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As already stated, the Canadian Tire version is NOT the same tire. I was working at Big O in Salmon Arm when Canadian Tire came out with that tread pattern. Unfortunatly, tread patterns are impossible to patent, so anybody can copy a tread design. But that is the ONLY similarity between the two tires.

------------------
if you didn't break it, you didn't go hard enough!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies...it has helped me quite a bit for which tires to go for, looks like I can't go wrong with Big O's

------------------
81 BJ42 not so rusty anymore

1 - 7 of 7 Posts