BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my idea, saw it on a jeep, wondering if it would actually have strength since people were saying the 4-runner one might not. I want to take the plastic steps off my jeep, but with the steel arms that hold the steps, I want to flip them, and switch them to opposite sides so they sit higher...then add 2x4 steel to them, the length from wheel well to wheel well. will the hold up to abuse??? I busted one step on a rock, yet the arms didn't bend.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Those arms are way too weak to consider using them as a mounting point for any kind of armour. IMO, your absolute best bet is rocker armour that bolts right up against the tub.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that wasn't a uber 1337 question for the fab area heh. No sweat, thanks for moving it Lars.

Ok so I'm wondering why 4-runners, I beleive it was Gio's, run there arms off the frame, is it dependent on the steel used?? or is that just a weakness of 4-runners since they can't mount guards against the tub???

I was hoping my idea would work since my Jeep is slowly loosing any reminance of it's 'Saharaness' :p

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It's the steel. You need to use a good 3/16 wall tubing to really be able to trust it. Otherwise if you hit it hard the step will just fold into the tub and do more damage that if it wasn't there.

My side bar/steps have two arms off the frame plus hang off the center body mount. Each frame mount has three heafty bolts into the frame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts