BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

I'm adding some angle iron on to my Comanche frame to weld some brackets and stuff to, as well as to protect the bottom side of the frame.

My plan was to sleeve the frame (using 1" od, 9/16"id tubing), but as I was drilling, I discovered that the outter frame rail is actually double walled. I'm using 9/16 bolts. Now I'm wondering if I really need to sleeve as the MJ frame rail appears to be a bit stronger than the XJ. On the back side I had planned on using large custom made fender washers to distribute the load as much as possible

What do you think?.. Will I crush my frame rails, or will I be good without sleeving?

Some pics of my setup are attached

Thanks,
Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
It will be a lot stronger if you weld in sleeves, without sleeves I think it will eventually crush in over time with flexing.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Why not weld the reinforcement to the unibody? It's a little crappy to weld because it galvanized, but a little practice and you'll be alright. It helps if you whip it forward to burn the galvinize out and then come back into your puddle.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't want to weld the plate to the unibody because of the HAZ it would create on the already thin frame as it was. Plus I like the option of removing the plate for whatever reason needed down the road.
Thanks for all your thoughts, I guess I will sleeve it just to be sure.

Thanks
Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.