BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thanks to the two fellas from mission tire who gave me the tug!!! also to the guys that i heard were out there for seven hours pulling people out,u know who you are.what a sloppy gooey mess,fun if u like the slop.glad i met chris and his women blue xj couse i got a stave virgin and took them up to the peak. hope u guys have dried out.i guessed i missed everyone or they dont like the rain? anyway had a blast

------------------
WORK WEEKENDS, ALL WEEK TO WHEEL WITH LESS CROWDS

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I do not mind so much going out there when it rains. Few people and really reduces the yahoo factor.
Too bad the place is such a mess.

I was out there around 10:30, left around 2:30. I was in the green YJ that almost fell over in one of the holes. I guess that is what happens when you try to follow a Zuki.
I only came out there to rescue a friend that was stuck and so was the guy helping him.
It has been over a year since I was last out there. I have a hard time comprehending all the trash out there...

Next weekend, I am heading for the hills.

Wes

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
we were there around 2-2:30 ,took a girlfriens of mine who drives a jetta and they gave her a 2002 explorer (white). well she really didnt watch the puddles like she should have and bottemed out bad .................LOL

i would really like to thank everybody who helped her out.

it really wasnt that bad out there and by the time we got home it stopped raining!!!!!!

...........vibe

·
Registered
138 Posts
I saw her! She asked me to get out of her way cuz she was scared to go through a puddle. I guess it was the one she bottomed out on.

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yea you all should thank me
nah jk.. we pulled out probably 8 people.. and helped some guy in a toyota pu with his front driveshaft.. never go unprepeared!

i made 80 bux,ripped some guys bumper off (teach him that he sux at welding
) and found 2 35" mudders with 80% left.. what a day.. your talking bout sunday rite?

------------------
1976 FJ40
6inchsusp,3/4rear,529s,detroit&arb,36s,yellow.

[This message has been edited by ToYz (edited October 22, 2001).]

·
Registered
138 Posts
yes, yesterday at stave. I didn't need you to pull me out
it was alot of fun though, someone got a pic of my truck at an insane angle, I was looking straight down at the mud.

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Banned
23 Posts
Got any pics, i wasn't up there, but i love seing what went on. I'll be up there next sunday for sure.

------------------
88 yota, couple solid parts on frame, is the box supposed to be in 2 pieces? tires... i think so. Lift? i don't even have springs.
"Is that a bad thing that my brake pedal is touching the floor"... we'll see when we hit that tree!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by girlwithtruck:
I saw her! She asked me to get out of her way cuz she was scared to go through a puddle. I guess it was the one she bottomed out on.

well i'm not sure who you helped but it wasnt us.

first we tryed with a come along - and it made the jeep bumper creek,

so than we had a full size truck try to pull her with a chain - the hook bent and smashed into the truck,

finaly, we had another full size winch her out - that got his truck dragged towards her's so we got another to hold him down and she got out

she missed her dinner plans(to be at her house)

........vibe

i didnt see anybody from the site out there, we got there after 2-2:30 but were there until 4:30

i dont know about the rest of you but we had a great time.

·
Banned
23 Posts
Vibe.... you attached a comealong to the bumper? or was the bumper part of the frame or what? Bumper tear off easy, i did it once with my ford, i wasn't too happy with myself. Sounds like you were pretty stuck to have to have 2 trucks tugging, i wish i was there.

------------------
88 yota, couple solid parts on frame, is the box supposed to be in 2 pieces? tires... i think so. Lift? i don't even have springs.
"Is that a bad thing that my brake pedal is touching the floor"... we'll see when we hit that tree!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I saw that white explorer...what possesed her to bring that thing out?? For all you newbie wheelers out there, never tow anybody out with a strap that has a hook, or a chain with a hook or it'll go through a windshield or a radiator.. that was a dumbass move and could have really hurt somebody... also, that little come-along could have ripped someones head off.. that is not meant for pulling out a full-sized truck.... Anyways... I'm with Wes, I like going when there isn't anybody out there becuase you can do your own thing and the amount of stupid behavior and drunkedness goes way down! Girlwithtruck.. I should have a nice pick of your truck on three wheels stuck on that stump... that was an interesting situation.

[This message has been edited by caltow (edited October 22, 2001).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by vibe:
that is all buddy had

....vibe
Now you know why so many of us preach the importance of being prepared. A 2" or 3" wide tow strap is relatively cheap and ALL vehicles you take offroad should have front and rear recovery points for the strap. Your buddy should prep his vehicle properly before going offroad next time. Otherwise, someone could get injured.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
A buddy gave my some chains to use. I did not realize they were so dangerous. I will now be getting a strap. How big a strap should I be getting for a full size truck.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Silverback
1,270 Posts
Originally posted by Jarett:
A buddy gave my some chains to use. I did not realize they were so dangerous. I will now be getting a strap. How big a strap should I be getting for a full size truck.

It's not just chains that are dangerous. All extraction equipment is dangerous - just some more than others, especially when you're dealing with the weight and suction of mud and a full-size vehicle.

Get a 30', 3" wide tug-strap that is rated - should be 30,000 lbs or more. Try to avoid any of the ones that come with hooks ont he ends; looped strap is safer. You can't imagine the elastic force generated in a stretched tug-strap that's rated for 30,000 lbs.

If you're tugging off of non-secure points on your truck (or even secure points when in mud), be ready for the projectile(s) - get people out of the high risk areas and find as much cover as is available. Snapping lines can wrap around trees, so hiding behind a tree may not be enough. The more dense the tree cover, the better. On Stave you may want to judiciously park "watching" vehicles to take the brunt of the damage (don't tell the looky-loo people that you're having them park their new truck in that specific spot to sacrifice its sheetmetal for the benefit of those doing the recovery work!).

The whole "recovery thing" is one of the reasons that I avoid mud - very high risk because of the tremendous force needed to move a sunk truck.

It's a wonder that there aren't more injuries on the Stave mud flats in the circumstances.

Here's some reading that will hopefully help:

Snatch block basics:
http://www.dodgepowerwagon.com/glovebox/snatch.html

Warn's Winch Guide:
http://www.warn.com/InternetHome/guides/safewinching/page2-3.shtm

Some additional suggestions:
http://www.news24.co.za/News24/Wheels24/4x4/0,3999,2-15-1129_992655,00.html

------------------
DMMcG
'98 XJ

[This message has been edited by DMMcG (edited October 23, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
DMMcG,

Thanks for all the info. I will put it to good use. I have seen winch cables break before. Damn they are scary. I don't stand near any kind of tow strap when they are being used. I winch cable can even chop down a tree.

------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
Slowly becoming less original, 31" tires, 360 2bbl V8, TF727 3 speed auto, NP205 T-case Dana 44 front, Chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Vibe, email me. I believe I came into possession of a piece of that Explorer today. And I am sure the owner would love to get it back.

Wes
[email protected].ca

------------------
...a member of the herd
www.hot.alloffroad.com

·
Registered
54 Posts
ok guys, some of you didnt read ALL my comments........

ya, she took the wrong trail, and no she didnt bring any supplies, she just wanted to get a little dirty and she saw a puddle and for somebody that is never up there she didnt know what she was getting into. regardless it wasnt her car and there was no damage(unbelievably) second the guy that hooked her up to the chain did so with HIS chain and he is the one who hooked it up. and the bumper wasnt a stock bumper.

Again dont get me wrong i'm not bitching i'm trying to educate you to what happened rather than just heresay.

in the end nobody got hurt and everybody had a fun time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts