BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the directions were to the tollbooth bypass, going TO kelowna. I've heard it's the last exit, but i can't remember the ins and outs of it. Can anyone help me out?

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
Take the last exit before the tollbooth (Falls Lake, exit 221), left at the stop sign, go under the highway, follow road up to parking area, look for road going up the hill on the north side of the parking area, follow road until you reach the Upper Cold Water FSR, turn right, follow this road until you reach the highway.

I may have missed something in the directions, but it should be pretty close. Someone else on the board may have more info to add. Have fun!

·
Registered
465 Posts
wonder how hard is that trial.. can car make it thru?
:)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Re: Tollbooth bypass

1badfordtruck said:
Take the last exit before the tollbooth (Falls Lake, exit 221), left at the stop sign, go under the highway, follow road up to parking area, look for road going up the hill on the north side of the parking area, follow road until you reach the Upper Cold Water FSR, turn right, follow this road until you reach the highway.

I may have missed something in the directions, but it should be pretty close. Someone else on the board may have more info to add. Have fun!
How far along the first road is the parking area? Is the Upper Cold Water FSR marked? is it my first fork?

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
saxonthebeach said:
How far along the first road is the parking area?
About 1 km

saxonthebeach said:
Is the Upper Cold Water FSR marked?
I can't remember if Upper Coldwater FSR is signed or not. I'm pretty sure it is.

saxonthebeach said:
is it my first fork?
I don't recall seeing a fork anywhere along the bypass, maybe a couple of spur roads along the sides.

As long as you are travelling in a northerly direction you are on the correct road. After climbing out of the parking area, the road will sort of flatten out and then will start to descend towards the Upper Coldwater FSR.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
You should be able to see this mountain off to the left as you descend towards the Upper Coldwater FSR.

·
Registered
222 Posts
funny you should say a subaru Leo. Guess what we found half way(well maybe a quarter) up Wilson Lake. A Subaru with a flat tire. Here we are in 4 wheel low scrapin on rocks and a damn Subaru is wedged on some rocks in front of us. Either its stolen or the owner really really likes fishin.

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
chris said:
funny you should say a subaru Leo. Guess what we found half way(well maybe a quarter) up Wilson Lake. A Subaru with a flat tire. Here we are in 4 wheel low scrapin on rocks and a damn Subaru is wedged on some rocks in front of us. Either its stolen or the owner really really likes fishin.
So did you guys make it all the way up to Wilson, or you couldn't get around the Subaru? Where was the owner, or was it abandoned?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically what you're telling me is that I take the exit (221), turn left at the stop sign, follow the road to the parking area(1 km), Go up the road on the north side (is it paved?) to the Cold Water FSR, and turn right. then if i stay on the main trail, i'll get back to the highway?

·
Project Unlimited
726 Posts
It is a gravel/dirt road. After turning right onto the Upper Coldwater FSR follow it until you come to a stop sign at the highway maintenance yard (road is paved at this point) Go straight and you will get back to the highway.

Like I said earlier, my directions are pretty close. Someone else on this board (possibly Lars) may have more details.

·
Registered
29 Posts
as long as the weather is dry (now) a car with either a bit of clearance or a decent driver at the wheel should make it fine. I haven't been through yet this year but last year the road was okay. A buddy of mine went through in his old volvo wagon last year. but then again that volvo goes anywhere...:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1badfordtruck said:
Like I said earlier, my directions are pretty close. Someone else on this board (possibly Lars) may have more details.
Still waiting... :p

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think it would be foolish to take a car up there. You may save $10 but you will almost certainly do some kind of damage unless you're really really REALLY careful. It's not difficult, just rough.

Here's my version of the directions...

Falls Lake exit. Go under the highway and turn left as if you're going to get back on the highway to Vancouver. Turn right up the paved road (the only one on that side of the highway that goes straight up the hill.

The road turns to dirt. At about the 1km mark there's an intersection of dirt roads / parking area. It's the only one like it. You basically go straight, the one you want has the remains of a tiny tiny little bridge that probably spanned a tiny tiny little creek at some point. Now it's nothing more than a couple of burried pieces of wood that you can barely see.

Follow that road for about 15 minutes...way way up the hill (through one little narrow part where some erosion has taken place) and then back down the hill. You will come to a very good dirt road (T-junction). Go right. This takes you past a tiny little gravel pit on the right and then some buildings and fences, etc. Eventually you hit the highway. Cross it, then I think you go right and then right again to get on the Coq heading to Merritt.

The bypass takes about 20 minutes and turns 5km of highway into 7km of dirt road. You would only need 4wd if it's snowy or there's a river flowing down the road.

Do note that this route is only possible in July, Aug, and maybe into Sept depending on the year. Very high altitude.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cool. yes. I'm taking a sammy up through there, so i'm not worried too much about damage. The reason I'm taking the road is just to break up the monotony of driving on the highway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think it would be foolish to take a car up there. You may save $10 but you will almost certainly do some kind of damage unless you're really really REALLY careful. It's not difficult, just rough.
I would say that we are foolish to take our trucks to a lot of the places we do, and we DEFINITELY don't save money by doing so...but its fun and that's why we do it:D

Do note that this route is only possible in July, Aug, and maybe into Sept depending on the year. Very high altitude.
I would ammend this to maybe into October. I do a lot of work at elevations up to 1800m (bypass goes to ~1400-1500) and snow is generally pretty transient up to the start of October. Of course you have to use your head, I've seen snow on the Coq in every month of the year...
:)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Doh!!! I tried finding it on the way back from Merritt. I went down the trail on the other side of the highway and ended up on top of a cliff. I even went and drove around those building on the north side, geuss I just had to keep going down that road. Oh well, now I know for next time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i just did the toll booth detour last week and did it every 2nd weekend last summer (wife was at U.C.C), as of last week there is some nice run off gulleys and minor washouts,just be on the lookout for some road erosion right after a medium sized hump where the shelf road traverses the dry gulch (nice view) its not particularily dangerous you just cant see it until your coming down off the hump. A great way to break up the tedium of the long drive though. good luck

1 - 20 of 65 Posts