BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the problems my YJ's been having, I took it to my gf's brother to have the ignition system tested.

He said that my vacuum advance is puting out too much vacuum at idle. For now we've disconected the advance and re-timed it at 10. Is there any danger in not having my advance connected? What could be causing the high pressure? He said the hose went to my brake boster?

Secondly, has anyone here upgraded their distributor to a larger one, and if so, what are the pro's and con's

--Mike

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
The vacuum advance is there to change your timing depending on load. You may notice a decrease in power, or it may ping under load or something odd.

Find a vacuum diagram for your vehicle and find out where the vacuum advance is supposed to hook too.

The vacuum advance will pull all the way to its maximum if its hooked to direct manifold vacuum, which is what it would be if it was hooked to the brake booster line.

Sorry, can't tell you any more except that you should get it all working properly for your engine to work efficiently.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the distributor you want ported vacuum, you should find a source coming from just above the throttle plate. You don't want to run it from the booster.
cheers...

[This message has been edited by Mike Robertson (edited February 24, 2002).]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Ported vacuum, isnt that just above the throttle plates? Below the throttle plates would be full manifold vacuum wouldn't it?

I dont remember......shoulda stayed awake in mechanics class.

------------------
Dan
Herd of Turtles Four Wheel Drive Society

1 - 4 of 4 Posts