BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tearing apart a solid axle ('84) and my manual says that to get the steering knuckle arms and bearing caps off, I need this special Toyota tool. Is this true or is there a poor-man's solution?

Sean

·
1,269 Posts
Brute force and blunt objects?

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
412 Posts
To get those steering arms off you need a brass drift (piece of 3/4 brass rod)and some penetrating oil. Take the nuts off the steering arms then place the drift directly on top of the stud. Then begin wailing on it with a heavy hammer, eventually you will see that little washer pop up. It is not a normal washer, it is a cone washer, they are tapered and go about 1/4 to 3/8 deep into the knuckle so you can not pry it out. Brass is very soft and will not damage the studs, you may get lucky and they will pop out on the first wack, I had to let mine soak fo a few hours, hammering every half hour, don't be shy with that hammer. There are few great write ups on the net somewhere with lots of pictures.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
163 Posts
on mine I just smacked the arm from either side and up and down a few times with a (BF)hammer and it loosened up and popped off.
tho my knuckles were leaking so badly at the time, it was all fairly soaked in oil, which probably helped...
cheers,
ryan

------------------
nothin that works

·
Registered
6 Posts
the coned washers have a split down em and I made a small chisel tapered the same as the coned washer and spread the coned washer a bit and with lots of penetrating oil and a brass drift on the arm stud I hammer the drift hard and usually they pop off and I try and usualy get maybe 2 or 3 off but of course one fights all the way .I then bang the arm on both sides and manage to lift the arm a little and that loosens the last few coned washers.The job can really suck especially if its never been removed since the factory put em on so expect it to be a tough job but once you get them off and use some sort of anti seize on the threads and coned washer you wont have a problem again. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts