BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 22re

Just something that I came across in in the Haynes manual that seemed weird to me. They tell you to torque the head bolts (in the appropriate pattern) to 58 and then turn each one an additional 90 degrees in the same pattern...and then ANOTHER 90 each. So that's 180 degrees past the 58lb-ft? Isn't that going to be well over 100lb-ft? That just seems strange to me (they weren't that tight when I took it apart) and I haven't done it yet because I can't find another source anywhere that tells you this. I haven't run it yet so it's not too late.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Torque the bolts in stages to 54-63 ft/lbs.
In the proper pattern of course.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, my manual says 58 in the specs section...but in the detailed instructions it tells you go torque to the specs and then do the 2 more stages of 90 degrees each.

Just doesn't seem normal to me but what the hell do I know.

Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I wouldn't sweat about the manuals exact spec.
The old bolts and contaminated surfaces will cause slight variance in the reading regardless.
I would torque them down to 60 ft/lbs and be done with it.
After youve torqued the head, leave it be.
Don't start turning bolts ect.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts