BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when you weld the steering linkage do you need too weld with any thing special or will a good mig with mixed argon do .and I need specs no the type of dom tubing that you can tap in for steering linkage.

------------------
suktoy

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like breez doz his they take and cut of the steering arm and weld it to the toy arm so that the linkage goes over the spring pack and changes it to the conventional sammy crossover steering still dont like the idea of steering and welding but breez white truck has 38! and holds well?

------------------
suktoy

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Well let me tell you why this is a bad idea for a vehicle that will be used on the street.

Your talking about making your own passenger side steering arm.

1st off from a legal point of view you risk having your truck condemmed because welded steering components (especially parts as critical as the steering arm)are illegal.

2nd it's a cast piece and welding on it is more complicated, do you trust your knowledge of welding processes enough to do something this critical?

3rd even though it is possible to do, do you really want to take the chance that it might fail on you thereby endangering your life and others on the road? Save your money and buy a proper product like the OTT steering arms...how much is your life worth?

G

·
I think by asking about what you did you answered a question to yourself.Am I qualified to do this?NO!!Leave this to the pro's and spend the bucks.If you decide not to and do it yopurself can I get a picture of your truck so I can stay clear of it on the road.
I hope I didn't dis you too much but we need all the help we can get keeping our sport safe.You only hear about the bad things that are out there.Lets make sure we build it safe the first time.Glad you came here and got a second opinion.

------------------
If it's too deep go faster

·
Registered
261 Posts
You should use a arc weld on the arm,(its much stronger).I did the cross over my self and it works great!If you do it right, it wont bust on ya.when your drilling the holes out on the top arm, make sure to have a good quality , strong bit.or else you'll burn the crap out of the bit (that metal is strong)!
O ya, my sami is the one with flames on it and 35" thornbirds ,so you can avoid driving beside me,for fear of my rig breaking.

------------------
Coils goin under!

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
Kev, 1st off I'm not saying that it's impossible to weld a cast arm and have it work out. My question is how competent is the welder performing the welding. This is a huge variable.

2nd I'm not a pro welder, I'm a rookie welder, I read text books and have worked in a heavy fabrication shop for the last 2 years asking questions and observing carefully welding processes. I definitely wouldn't consider myself competent enough to weld a cast piece like a steering arm.

Having said all that I'm wondering about your advice of using arc welding on cast pieces. Doesn't arc welding (more than most other welding processes) concentrate a huge amount of heat in a very small area? The specific weld area being MUCH hotter than the area surrounding it? Saying that didn't that make it very difficult to accurately control the preheating of the piece along with the cool down? The ability to control these variables would lead to difficulties in controlling the expansion and restriction of the piece leading to possible stress cracking that isn't visible on the surface of the weld or to the naked eye without dyepan (sp?) testing?

In my experience in the shop I've seen pro welders have to spend a lot of care with preheating and cooling and still have problems with welds cracking, that's why I seriously question doing something like this.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You have some very good points.
The peice I made is made in a way that if a crack was to form anywhere on the arm there is enough strength in other parts of the arm to compensate ,I do beleave the ott arms are the best! but for some of us that have not much green in the pocket, have to do it other ways.and yes i think that arc is a better, stronger weld than wire feed. arc will give better penitration to the peice. I think its better to have a crack then a snap.
my $.02

------------------
Coils goin under!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey guys thanks I am thinking of A more reliable spot to weld A thick slab of steel right ontop of the king pin and also bolt it unfortunately my link has to go way up and the ott won't do. I just want to bomb proof this so I will take all the suggestions I can get

------------------
suktoy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Terry I have to respond to this! ... I fully agree with what Wil has already stated. Welded steering components are illegal. As far as the OTT steering arms not having enough offset height to clear your springs??
this has never been a problem in the past
they will easily clear any lift up to 8" ( on a Toyota) Please do it right. for more info on our products check the link in my sig or http://www.nsor.com

------------------
only we make "the whistling sound" www.OTTindustries.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.