BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of mileage do you guys get with your toy diesel engines. List city, highway and average.

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I get 580 km to the tank in my turbocharged 81 BJ 60, sprung over with 35" MT. All I know is that gets me from Vancouver, through the Whipsaw, back home and out to Langley for work on Monday, before I have to go back to the gas station. I should really figure that out in a MPG way to make the comparison, so far I've been to lazy to keep track

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How big is your fuel tank?

------------------
470,800 and rising

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had an 85 pickup with the turbo diesel and got 34mpg highway 27mpg city about 30mpg average.The reason I sold it is finding parts in the wrecker was almost impossible and the dealer unreasonable.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't know? I'll take note next time I fill up from right empty. At recent fill ups I am averaging about $50-$53/fill

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
my bro was getting about 36mpg on the highway running 30" tires and a four speed in his 82 fj42 with the 3b diesel

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

·
Registered
85 Posts
I filled up today at 549 Km it took 74 litres, thats 7.42 litres per 100KM. I don't know the conversion factor for the MPG but I think that its doing considerably well especially given the modofications. I think that I am very close on my milage calculation becuase I have used my GPS unit to find the correction factor for the odometer being out due to tire oversize. My friend is doing quite a bit better with his SOA BJ 60 with 34" swampers, given he drives a fair bit slower. I have turbo'd several Land Cruisers and have always got the same before and after mileage while averaging more than 80% more power at the tires

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A cool site i found for converting anything to anything.
www.onlineconversion.com

My tank size is 73L but that is from dead empty.

What is the highest k's you've seen on a toy diesel with a turbo

------------------
470,800 and rising

[This message has been edited by Mrdiesel (edited December 15, 2001).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
oops, something didn't convert right there.

74 litres to go 549 kms is more like 21 mpg(better be right this time)

·
Registered
151 Posts
33 mpg by my calculations. Guess I better start saving for that turbo. I get around 28 mpg in my BJ70 w/ 33s and 4.56s.
Kodiak, what do you have for gears in your 60?

------------------
norm
'85 BJ70

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 1984 4x4 Toy pu 2.4l diesel gets about 28-30 mpg city and 30-33 mpg highway. Not much gain on the highway, but I'm happy with what it gets. Vehicle is all stock and I run full synthetic 15-40 diesel oil in the winter here in MB.

I am considering going to 4.88 or 5.29's and a 35" tire. Anyone have any experience with a similar setup on a diesel?

Walter

·
Registered
222 Posts
549kms = 343.13miles
74L = 16.299gallon

343.13/16.229=21.14mpg

Someone correct me if I am wrong. Maybe thats why I think my truck gets such crappy mpg.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yep, that looks right after all. I went and re-calculated it and came up with the same as you, 21 mpg.
I guess there's a reason I'm a musician and not something that requires any fancy-book-learnin' ;-)

------------------
norm
'85 BJ70

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
73L =19.2 gals US
74L = 19.54 gals US

Maybe you need to re-check the figures!

------------------
470,800 and rising

[This message has been edited by Mrdiesel (edited December 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I thought there was 4.54 Litres in a gallon. Maybe I am talking about an imperial gallon or something. Which gallon are you supposed to use when figuring out your gas milage?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well, I'm not an American, so I would go by the Imperial gallon.

------------------
norm
'85 BJ70

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know I could get far better mileage out of my truck by backing off the main injection volume screw, and better yet by not pushing it to full throttle so much. But the extra power with the pump dialled up rich is just too much to resist. I am also running the stock 3.70 gears which sucks in town but lets me get a 120Km/h cruise on the freeway. I don't plan to change the diff gears until I can dig up a 5 speed to put into this thing. I spend at least an hour a day on the highway, generally at 110Km/h and the truck is quite the aerodynamic no-no, so in my case I think I use more fuel at highway speed than city.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
go to www.onlineconversion.com and it lets you choose from a huge list - the numbers were for us gallons (wet)

------------------
470,800 and rising

1 - 20 of 27 Posts