BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much work is it to retrofit a 2wd to 4wd., has anyone done this, and does the frame goemetry support the swap? I have access to a t-case, just need a front axle.
Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
cheaper to buy a 4x4.. less tim to

------------------
SOLD!!!!!!
81 bronco, 35" mud kings, 6 inch lift , 1 inch body lift,ALARM, cb.
8000lb warn winch.
OH DID I MENSION I HAVE AN alarm!?
<NOW SPORTIN A CHEVY> <BeCaUsE Im SiLlY lIkE tHaT!!!>

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You are better of buying the 4x4 and selling what you have, it will be cheaper and easier this way.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have been told that the 3rd gen trucks have the same frames other than the suspension components. I think you would have to buy a transmission and transfer case as I don't think you can bolt a transfer case to a 2wd tranny. Also I think the 2wd uses a 5 bolt rim so you would need both front and rear axles and rims and the drive shaft would probably be the wrong length. I don't know about the steering but if you are planning crossover it would not be an issue. There was a white one in the mags a few months ago that started life as a 2wd, it was bobbed and had an exo. Personally I would not do it to an older truck like that one because it is just too much work and cosidering it is an 84 and may need frame work soon. But if you can weld and have access to cheap parts and plenty of time go for it. Nice way to get a clean body.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Better to get a 4x4 chassis and put the 2wd body onto it.It will be really easy if you add a small body lift, otherwise you may have to do some tranny tunnel type "massaging" Good luck.

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dano,I have converted two 2wd's to 4wd's. I think you will be seeing alot of guys doing this in the near future do to the fact that 90% of the 4wd's especially here in rainy B.C. either have had the frames patched or have holes in them. So if your truck is solid (usually the 2wd's are pretty solid)and you really want a 4wd it can be done. You definately need alot more than a transfercase and front end. Just from the top of my head you need...

-complete front end hub to hub and springs
-4wd steering box and related steering components
-4wd steering column and shaft(need slip yoke style)
-4wd shock towers for the front
-front and rear 4wd drive shafts (your 2wd drive shaft will not work because it is a
slip yoke style)
-4wd rear end complete (you springs will work)
-4wd shocks front and rear
-4wd transmission and transfercase (2wd trans. are similar but it in the end you will need a 4wd trans. for parts so that kind of defeats the purpose)
-4wd trans. cross member
-4wd mud flaps ha-ha
You basically need a complete 4wd parts truck.It doesn't have to be a 2nd generation style either. It can be a 1st gen. style, too, you can pick a whole truck for $500 bucks. Hope I didn't scare you to much. If you need any questions answered I am sure I can give you my two cents.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mike, That is kind of funny you asked,I am almost finished my '89 short-box that start it's life as a 2wd frame. I swapped in a '85 front end. I actually copied Chris Geiger's solid axle swap from offroad.com site (the white 90-something 4Runner.) For steering I am using OTT industries cross over set up (MADE IN CANADA!) and F-350 shock towers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.