BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else having issues with that stupid toyota ad that pops up the minute you go to bc4x4.com? @ least make it a separate pop up window. :lame

Will buying a star get rid of that?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Firefox with the adbuster plus add-on. I use this and see no adds on almost all sites I visit. But you must configure firefox and any other programs properly or you'll still get popups.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
It's frikking annoying as hell and I don't plan on renewing my membership until it's fixed or moved to another location on the site. I'm not about to start changing browsers to fix the problem when it should be done on the backend.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Uhmmmmmm its to do with winning a brand new 4runner?
No one looks at these things?
If your computer crashes maybe do a windows update or better yet upgrade your system....
I work with computers and i gotta say some people are running way freaking old school dinosaurs in this day and age...
If you look at emails thats fine run a old school machine but if you scour online follow up with forums and such you should be at least running something new.

And f-cking annoying as hell but when someone wins a brand new 4runner because they went through the whole ad and applied well everyone who said it was
F-CKING ANNOYING AS HELL I MUST SAY...!!!!
will be saying it should have been them..

LOL[video=youtube;Qw9oX-kZ_9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k[/video]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Uhmmmmmm its to do with winning a brand new 4runner?
No one looks at these things?
If your computer crashes maybe do a windows update or better yet upgrade your system....
I work with computers and i gotta say some people are running way freaking old school dinosaurs in this day and age...
If you look at emails thats fine run a old school machine but if you scour online follow up with forums and such you should be at least running something new.

And f-cking annoying as hell but when someone wins a brand new 4runner because they went through the whole ad and applied well everyone who said it was will be saying it should have been them..

LOL
If you work with computers and have any knowledge in the industry, you would know that this type of ad and the way it is configured inhibits the use of the website it is being hosted on. A simple ad on the left or right hand side, or even a banner would do its job nicely. Not something that replaces content of the page using a flash animation forcing the user to click a small area on the upper right to make it disappear otherwise if they miss they get sent somewhere they do not want to go.

Ads like these are offensive to the user and can easily make a webmaster look like a sellout to ads companies because he/she has no regard for the convenience of their users but rather caters to the people giving them cash to run ads on their site. Not saying its true by any stretch but it can and has given that impression on other sites.

I remember Lars asking in the forums awhile go mentioning if anyone on here actually knew that bc4x4 was an actual website rather than a forum and many of the responses (joking or not) mentioned that they never go to the main page. An ad like this will make most people skip the mainpage and go directing to the forums which is likely something that Lars doesn't want.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I went to the main page a few weeks ago just to see wtf you guys were whining about. that add drives me nuts. on the plus side I have the forum bookmarked so I never see the main page.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I went to the main page a few weeks ago just to see wtf you guys were whining about. that add drives me nuts. on the plus side I have the forum bookmarked so I never see the main page.
^ bingo
I have bookmarks as well making the home page a non existant thing for me. ONly time i hit it was when the format was changed here and i looked around.
It is an ad that pulls you away but its only a click to get you out and back to the main page.
I gaurantee that toyotas paying for the ad at least something is being given thats what supports a forum sometimes it is what it is i guess....

If you work with computers and have any knowledge in the industry, you would know that this type of ad and the way it is configured inhibits the use of the website it is being hosted on. A simple ad on the left or right hand side, or even a banner would do its job nicely. Not something that replaces content of the page using a flash animation forcing the user to click a small area on the upper right to make it disappear otherwise if they miss they get sent somewhere they do not want to go.

Ads like these are offensive to the user and can easily make a webmaster look like a sellout to ads companies because he/she has no regard for the convenience of their users but rather caters to the people giving them cash to run ads on their site. Not saying its true by any stretch but it can and has given that impression on other sites.

I remember Lars asking in the forums awhile go mentioning if anyone on here actually knew that bc4x4 was an actual website rather than a forum and many of the responses (joking or not) mentioned that they never go to the main page. An ad like this will make most people skip the mainpage and go directing to the forums which is likely something that Lars doesn't want.

Just my $0.02.

Funny i remember that thread about the main page and shortly the whole format of the forum changed?
Again its an ad that pops up and takes over probably due to toyota having paid for that space?
If not its only a click away to stop and go back to the main page... Its not like a spammy spam ad...

I am sure everyone remembers that rick astly never gonna give you up webpage that opened and you could never ever shut it everytime you did the bar would move all over the screen...
I am not going to force that link on you but will force this one.......

http://64.15.120.233/watch?v=zRLlZ1Axy_4&feature=response_watch

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
i actually saw it first hand last week. wondering wtf you guys were talking about...then visited the main page. then all of a sudden, the front page started to get sucked into the rear of the 4runner :laugh

i dont know wtf you guys get your panties in such a bunch about it. it could be worse...it coulda been a ferd or heep ad. i usually just access the forum page by typing in bb in the address field. firefox autocompletes and goes to the 'new posts' link. if you want to see the main site, suck it up, let it do its thing, then open new links in a new tab, leaving the original main page open. tabbed browsing..try it out folks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.