BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, my friend has an 85, longbox, turbodiesel, pickup. Thinking about gas conversion, or diesel rebuild. Diesel has really bad power and blows lots of blue, 1 liter of oil every tank of gas, Oh anyone know power output of the diesel. 2.4l turbo.

------------------
84 xcab shortened 16inches,EFI coversion, Header,2 1/2 exhast, high lift cam, 3
" lift, welded rear,
rear track bar, 3in body lift, 33" comming soon, 24$ paint, flatbed, ready to be beaten, broke and shot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Your freind should go and have his shot turbocharger rebuilt......... no power and high oil consumption(burning it) can be a symptom of this....... of course a proper diesel compression check first (to make sure it wasn't a piece of exhaust valve that went through the turbo and took it out.....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
144 Posts
2L has 65 hp, 115ftlbs

I think i have 2LT specs on my site
www.geocities.com/mrdieselpa/toyota-diesel.html

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he had the turbo rebuilt/ replaced , 2 years ago..... so i should check the valves(adjust the valves while if there) and then when its apart check the turbo???? its a turbo what are the specs...for the diesel.....

------------------
" lift, welded rear,
rear track bar, 3in body lift, 33" comming soon, 24$ paint, flatbed, ready to be beaten, broke and shot.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Basically I would have a diesel compression check done....... the reason I mentioned the valves is that I have seen a Turbo truck that had a piece of valve go through the turbo vanes. screwing up the impeller and causing the seal to leak oil into the intake manifold...
A compression check would tell you if the cylinder sealing (rings) is still OK...
A leakdown check would also work for this.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have heard that the stock 2LT turbo was basically a piece of junk and had some design flaws? Anyone know anything about this?

Also are there any upgrades like a bigger cam etc that can dish out some more HP in the L series motors?

------------------
470,800 and rising
I am the black cloud of somke that flies by at 3500rpm!
(Please note diesel smoke is dangerous so lay off the throttle!)
Pulls like a draft horse, hauls like a pack mule.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok... i dont really know much about diesels, so a compression check takes a special tool right.??

------------------
" lift, welded rear,

·
Registered
382 Posts
A diesel engine has a much higher compresion ratio than a Gas engine. you need a special compression checking gage set and adapters to tap into the cylinder through the glowplug thread.
(no sparkplugs=special adapters)
Any garage that works on small diesels should have the tool for this... getting it done and finding out the condition of the rings and cylinders will at least give you an idea of where to start.....

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kool talk to a buddie of mine and he has the attachment, thanks. ps, do you know the compression ration it should read.?

------------------
" lift, welded rear,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.