BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well Iam driving down the road tonight(81 toy4x4 s/b with 22r) when all of the sudden I hear a bang,pop,and some other bad noises.I pull over and see that I no longer have a rear driveshaft-I walk back a bit and find it in good condition,no visible bends or breaks.It came off right at the rear axle and before the ujoint that connects to the rear of the tranny.Well I try to get it back on but cant as it seems to be about an inch too long-the gears line up and go in together but not deep enough to make it fit.I dident have my ratchet set there so I couldent pull the ujoint that goes to the tranny to see if that would help.Iam sure there is an easy way to get it back on but I just cant seem to figure it out(I look through my hanes but no luck) Just looking for some help here so I can get this truck home.
All help and suggestions would be awesome!!!!!
Thanks Alot Brett:confused:

·
Registered
363 Posts
did the tube covering the male splines on the shaft get dented?
also ive seen where a wad of grease on the inside of the female end prevents it from fully compressing.
where did it come apart? u-joint or flange bolts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BBP-It came off at the rear flange bolts that meet the rear drifeshaft(4 bolts) and were the rear propeller shaft slids into the sleeve yoke(gears inside that match up to the propeller shaft)I put some grease on it to make it slid easier but that dident help.It dosent look to be dented but it could be as it was dark and it did hit the ground at a decent speed.
Does that give you a better idea?
Thanks Brett

·
Registered
363 Posts
you could also check for a rock stuck between the male splines and the tube covering them, but the things ive mentioned already are the only possibilities i can think of.
well one other, but its a long shot. were you driving hard and possably ripped a spring hanger out of a rusty frame allowing the axle to shift? dont laugh, i did it 3 times on an old frame.

·
Registered
139 Posts
if you want to get it home just lock it in 4x4 and drive home, just take it easy. i did it in my truck when i busted my driveshaft:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeremy and JR-I dont think I coulda ripped the spring mount as the frame is solid and pretty mint but maybe????
Iam going to check it right now and hopefully figure it out.I will drive it home I guess and just take it extremely easy.
Thanks ALot guys-Brett

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went out to my truck last night mainly cause my buddys 93 Kawisakia 250 dirtbike was in the back which IAm taking to Whistler today.I got my sister to shine the car lights on the back of my truck and I fixed it properly right there,put some locktight on and drove home in 2wd.Funny thing is this was the first day I have had this truck on the road and when my driveshaft came off some lady in an explorer smoked it with her car,she thought she had hit a big branch and I just said I hit it too.
Any ideas why it would came off??????
As usual bc4x4 came through when it counted.
Thanks ALot Brett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts