BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was just outside in the garage getting ready to swap my 2lt from my 85 truck into the 89 v6 4runner and i noticed the front of the frame is different, obviously for the ifs. The runner's frame is more or less flat up front, but the 85 frame bows up.
here is what i am wondering about now.. i was planning to just cut the 4cyl mounts off on my 85 and weld them into the 89 frame the same distance from the front crossmember as I cut them off. Now i just realized that wont work, as the v6 mounts seem to be higher up to compensate for the flatness of the frame.
what would work to mount my 4cyl in my v6 truck? the 2lt mounts are the same as the 22r mounts if anyone is wondering about that. would I just simply need to cut the v6 mounts off and move them forwards? If worse comes to worse, i will mock the engine and transmission in the frame and fab my own engine mounts, as well as the transmission crossmember which i was planning to fab anyways.

basically looking for knowledge on swapping a 4cyl into a v6 89 which will recieve a SAS at the same time, probably not so common but im sure someone has done it.
thanks
mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
was just outside in the garage getting ready to swap my 2lt from my 85 truck into the 89 v6 4runner and i noticed the front of the frame is different, obviously for the ifs. The runner's frame is more or less flat up front, but the 85 frame bows up.
here is what i am wondering about now.. i was planning to just cut the 4cyl mounts off on my 85 and weld them into the 89 frame the same distance from the front crossmember as I cut them off. Now i just realized that wont work, as the v6 mounts seem to be higher up to compensate for the flatness of the frame.
what would work to mount my 4cyl in my v6 truck? the 2lt mounts are the same as the 22r mounts if anyone is wondering about that. would I just simply need to cut the v6 mounts off and move them forwards? If worse comes to worse, i will mock the engine and transmission in the frame and fab my own engine mounts, as well as the transmission crossmember which i was planning to fab anyways.

basically looking for knowledge on swapping a 4cyl into a v6 89 which will recieve a SAS at the same time, probably not so common but im sure someone has done it.
thanks
mike
try to get brakets from a 86-95 frame with a 4cyl. engine, they are not the same as 6cyl. brakets, (different spot on the frame AND different angle)
or you may want to fabricate new ones.... just keep the "face" from the 85 brakets and start from there (pain in the....)
for the tranny crossmember, just keep the one that goes with the tranny you will instal!
they are all bolt on on the frame from 84 to 95 but almost all different shape for each tranny model they have used over the years!!

good luck!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
there are sometimes a few trucks or runners at the picknpull.. I could grab the engine mounts off one of those. Do you know if the mounts on the frame are in the same spot and angle? or do you mean I would need to cut those off an ifs 4cyl frame and weld them on. I can get bolt on parts easily, but no torches allowed in the junk yard.
im not selling the truck and buying a 4cyl one, gonna work with what i have which is a good condition 89 v6 4runner i got for $350 because it didnt run.

the crossmember mounting bolts all being the same is good news, then all i have to do is bolt the rear in, hold the motor up with a jack at the right height, and make some brackets, not that hard just a minor setback. when I did my supra swap i used BIC brackets, hey bic feel like making some for a 89 diesel frankentruck?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.