BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK folks. I need this one answered. My 88 22re fires up great when it its cold. After she warms up and I need to start it again, she's hard to start right away and when she does catch, there is a loud knocking sound coming from the engine compartment. There is about 3-4 knocks before it goes away. ONLY when WARM, never cold. Is this the timing chain tensioner? If so, wouldnt I hear it whenever I fired her up regardless? Is it oil starvation, and again, wouldn't I hear it at every start up? The engine has 244,000 kms on the clock.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If it was a rod, 3 or 4 knocks would only take a second or two.
Worn bearings can rattle until oil pressure builds,on a hot motor.
But if they were worn to that point you'd probably here the knock when cold too.
Are you sure its a knock, not some kind of rattle?
The hard starting is most likely not related to the noise you hear.
It's best to find out what it is now. If it is rod bearings then the crank can most likely be reground.
If it throws the rod you will need another core for rebuilding. If the rod ruins the crank you will need another crank and a rod.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep Pete. I do regular maintenance to her. The oil and filter are changed every 5000 kms.

dp: It is definetly a knock.

This one has me baffled!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If it consistently knocks on starting when warm ,you can try unpluging spark plug wires one at a time.
Unplug #1 and start it, if you here the knock shut it off and install the plug wire and try it again on #2, and so on.
Reduced cylinder pressure can stop the knock so you can isolate which cylinder it is.
Bad news is if this stops the knock it's definitely a rod and you better repair it asap.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs,1inch body, 35's, detroit locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts