BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im an Aussie living in BC and Im wondering why there are no Toyota landcruiser turbo diesels being offered in North America??!! From what Ive seen people over here love big gas guzzling chevy v8 engines which constantly need work and die after a couple of hundered thousand km! Give me a 4.2 turbo diesel anyday, those Toyota landcruisers are known to go forever, most do well over 1 million kms.
I own a jeep, I had that "Jeep thing" for awhile, but they are so much work!!!! I spend more time bloody fixing the damn thing than 4x4ing!
I just don't understand why people over here aren't screaming for smaller diesel engines?! Is it because no-one here knows what they are like??? Sure they lack highway power but who cares?! I don't intend to have a 4x4 for highway driving!
I say go to Australia for a holiday, take a landcruiser turbo diesel out in the bush and try it out, you won't ever want anything else!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It's not that we don't want them, they just figured that the diesel wouldn't sell, and they were right, small diesels have failed to sell in the past.
But I think that's changing, people are waking up to the economy of smaller diesels.
Me, I'd just like an old BJ42 with a 3B!

·
Registered
303 Posts
87YJBC said:
Im an Aussie living in BC and Im wondering why there are no Toyota landcruiser turbo diesels being offered in North America??!! From what Ive seen people over here love big gas guzzling chevy v8 engines which constantly need work and die after a couple of hundered thousand km! Give me a 4.2 turbo diesel anyday, those Toyota landcruisers are known to go forever, most do well over 1 million kms.
I own a jeep, I had that "Jeep thing" for awhile, but they are so much work!!!! I spend more time bloody fixing the damn thing than 4x4ing!
I just don't understand why people over here aren't screaming for smaller diesel engines?! Is it because no-one here knows what they are like??? Sure they lack highway power but who cares?! I don't intend to have a 4x4 for highway driving!
I say go to Australia for a holiday, take a landcruiser turbo diesel out in the bush and try it out, you won't ever want anything else!

I am totally with you on that one! I used to sell Toyotas, my dad was a trucker, and my brother in law ONLY drives diesels. Next to noone in North America knows the virtues of a diesel! People here look at the HP figures, and ignores the fuel milage and torqu of these engines! When I was selling cars, I longed for a diesel 4Runner ot Tacoma..... I usually drive Suzuki's, and around the globe they all came with varied sizes of diesles.

Hell, wouldn't mind getting the 2.0L intercoolded Mazda turbo diesel that came in the Asian Sidekicks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
There are quite a few of us that would love a new T-D Cruiser. BUt I would guess most of us would want them stripped of the leather, power everything, etc. Toy makes way more cash selling a loaded Lexus, and the average loaded Lexus buyer is not interested in the benifits of the superior diesel. Too bad for us.

At least we got a few NA diesels here. In the US they never got any.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts