BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seat belt on my 89 4runner won't retract fully when I take if off. Does anyone know how to fix it? Besides replacing it?

------------------
Drive it like you stole it...

·
1,269 Posts
Can you explain the problem a bit more?

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright,
you know when you take off your seat belt, and you let go of it, and the shoulder belt retracts, and it all gets pulled out of the way so you can get out of your truck so you don't get caught on your seat belt when you get out?
Well, my shoulder belt doesn't retract all the way. It's like the spring inside that coils it up again is super weak, or there's too much friction in the shoulder belt hanger or something. Basically, the result is my seatbelt hanging down out of my door when I close it.

------------------

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by supersportsedan:
alright,
you know when you take off your seat belt, and you let go of it, and the shoulder belt retracts, and it all gets pulled out of the way so you can get out of your truck so you don't get caught on your seat belt when you get out?
Well, my shoulder belt doesn't retract all the way. It's like the spring inside that coils it up again is super weak, or there's too much friction in the shoulder belt hanger or something. Basically, the result is my seatbelt hanging down out of my door when I close it.
Yup...Sounds like it's working just right to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by Adam B:
Mine does that too!

------------------
88' 4Runner
SAS and a little bit of lift.
"All your Toyota are belong to me"
Member of the "Herd"

·
Registered
27 Posts
I thought thats how Toyota designed them
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
When in doubt, gas it out

·
Chump
624 Posts
Sounds like mine too, hangs outside my door and gets muddy when I close the door on it.

Maybe my parts truck will provide me a better one.....once I clean the mold and moss off it.

JCD

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah.....that reminds me...

Did you find the little "surprise" I left in the parts truck for you?

·
Chump
624 Posts
Yeah.....that reminds me...

Did you find the little "surprise" I left in the parts truck for you?
I think I know what you are talking about....bastard...it still smells like your Mom

·
Registered
133 Posts
and what were you doing smelling his mom? (YOU DOG
)
Actualy mine do the same I wonder if there is a cheep fix for these or are they worn out and need replaced?

------------------
85 SR5 4 runner, 7"sup,2" body, 35"BFG muds,5:29, wide track rear, vented rotor conversion, and no place to go.

[This message has been edited by snowman6971 (edited February 26, 2002).]

·
Registered
32 Posts
If my seat belt retracted I would get worried. There is nothing that I love more than walking up to my Toy and seeing 5 inches of seat belt caked in s*!t hanging out of my door!

------------------
If it does'nt fit... wiggle it a bit

·
1,269 Posts
I think we've all mastered the little flick of the wrist as you take your seat belt off. Kind of throw it over your shoulder towards the back left of the cab as you're bringing it across your chest.
Sorry dude, that's the only solution I can offer you!

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hahaha, I thought I was the only one who did that... and then turn slightly to tug down on the belt to fully retract it just before closing the door!

These are brand new belts, too. Right outta the box. I think they retracted fully on their own for about a week. Whoo!

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
382 Posts
The reaso for this is the retractors have an inertia activated locking pawl...
this is the thing that locks up and chokes you at the exact moment you start 'gettin it' on some off-camber spot.
I was told the true reason for these is to avoid collarbone injury in a rear ender.(your torso is allowed to fly forwards a little before the belt 'locks')
If the engineers at the seatbelt manufacturers built the seatbelts to work properly in all off-road situations they would most likely do nothing in an on-road accident...... let's face it some trail rides are like a car crash from start to finish.......

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have one,id give ya for free except that im in calgary and you are where i want to bee, BC.......sigh.....

------------------
84 xcab shortened 16inches,EFI coversion, Header,2 1/2 exhast, high lift cam, 3
" lift, welded rear,
rear track bar, 3in body lift, 33" comming soon, 24$ paint, flatbed, ready to be beaten, broke and shot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by JimmyJ:
i have one,id give ya for free except that im in calgary and you are where i want to bee, BC.......sigh.....

Come on down! The weather is sweeeeet...

------------------

·
Registered
389 Posts
well it looks like my seat bealt must be broken cuz mine retracts all the way ,nothing like any of yours does,lol hmm can i get help on to fix it to be like yours?lol

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts