BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the ware like on the drive shaft if I go with Toyota axels under a Samurai

As you know on a Samurai the diff is offset, and on the Toyota it is centered.
Will it make any difference?

Thanks

------------------
Big Frank

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see some people use Toyota diff in short wheel base Sammy. However, they tilt T-case to proper angle to eliminate the noise from drive shaft. (If you keep the Suzuki drive shaft!) If you using Toyota drive shaft, you need to fit the shaft to Suzuki T-case. (you see more in my post. Hopfully, the information will help you a little bit!

·
Registered
261 Posts
dont tilt your T.case! Just buy a front CV shaft out of a say 83 toy pickup , get a 88 1/2 and up Samurai T.case flange Lathe the inside a bit , drill new holes and angle the rear pinnion at the T.case flange and its done. If you need pics I could probly find some for you

------------------
4ByHigh

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Why not run a pair of FJ40 axles.
The diff's are offset like the sami, and 3/4 ton to boot!
Has anyone done this swap? Or is this overkill for a samurai. I know people swap mini axles, why not FJ axles.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The FJ40's don't have the ground clearance that the Toyota's have.

Thanks for the thought.

------------------
Big Frank

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want a Toy, go buy a Toy! Not trying to be a smartass, but what you will end up with is a bunch of junk that breaks down on the trail! There is nothing wrong with Zuk diffs if you are using a 1.3l or 1.6l.

Price the lockers and R/P for a Toy compared to a Zuk. That alone will make you think about it. Birfield rings fix the weakest part of the Zuk drive train, and cost a lot less than Toy mods. There are a lot of other mods available also that still use Suzuki parts. Look on the net.
Yeah, I am a Zuk purist!!

Now if you are going to install a small block, buy a Jeep, they always need help!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Deer Hunter:
If you want a Toy, go buy a Toy! Not trying to be a smartass, but what you will end up with is a bunch of junk that breaks down on the trail! There is nothing wrong with Zuk diffs if you are using a 1.3l or 1.6l.

Price the lockers and R/P for a Toy compared to a Zuk. That alone will make you think about it. Birfield rings fix the weakest part of the Zuk drive train, and cost a lot less than Toy mods. There are a lot of other mods available also that still use Suzuki parts. Look on the net.
Yeah, I am a Zuk purist!!

Now if you are going to install a small block, buy a Jeep, they always need help!!
Hey Deer Hunter;

I appreciate your input, however in my opinion one cant wheel as hard
without braking using Samurai parts alone, not to mention running 35's.

Do you have any pictures of your rig?

------------------
Big Frank

[This message has been edited by Big Frank (edited March 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ive done the fj40 axle swap also ,(hated it) . Way to overkill for a sami so I went to the 8" toy pickup axles (alot better).

------------------
4ByHigh

·
Registered
296 Posts
Anyone who's done this and kept everything else Zuki except of course the axles willing to give a detailed tutorial?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts