BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is looking to purchase a 89 GMC Tracker. Me being a Jeep driver I need info from the Suki guys. It has approx. 180,000 kms, 4X4 with front manual locking hubs, 5 speed trany, soft top, EFI. I think it is a 1.6L??? asking price $3600.00

We test drove the Tracker and put it through all the gears and into 4 high and low and eveything looks ok. I did notice a bit of oil leak but don't know where. By the looks it has not been offroad, couldn't find any caked on mud in the usual hard to clean places.

What are the usually problems with the 89s and what should he be looking for before purchasing? where could the oil leak be? Are the Trackers a good little 4X4 for offroading? Low on power/torque? if purchased what should be the few things he should do to get it ready for some offroad fun (type of lift, tires size without trimming) and any other types of information would be great......

thks

------------------
86 XJ 2.8L V6 (just rebuilt), Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s, Crane Ignition, MSD coil, K&N filter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
don't no much about sidekicks but, it is a 1.6L, 16 valve DOHC. And it has the same hp and torque as a Toyota 22R, so no lack in power.

------------------
The beast must feast

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's a 80 hp sohc not dohc even the 16 valve is only single cam with 97 hp the new 2.0 tracker is a dohc with 127 hp the old 8 valve motors are not to hard to find if you need one, just make sure you have a rust free tub or your into a lot of

·
Registered
207 Posts
my mistake, he's buying a tracker, not a sidekick.

------------------
The beast must feast

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there any common problems with this engine or Tracker in general?

------------------
86 XJ Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s, Crane Ignition, MSD coil, K&N filter, Electric Fan.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Actually all 89-92 Sidekicks or Trackers came with the 1600 8 Valve engines. It was in the 93 model year(I think) that Suzuki upgraded to the 1600 16 V engine in their 2Door model. Trackers(2 door ones)always came with 1600 8V.
The most common and probably the most costly problem with the 1600 8V engine was the cracking engine blocks. This issue was resolved in, I think, 91.
This is not to say, of course, that all 91 and older models will have a cracked block. It's just something to watch for...

As for off-road capability.
Probably the biggest bang for the buck is in a 2 inch body lift and 235/75/15 Muds. They will fit with no trimming of any sort and will not be big enough to have you worry about gearing. Then slap some nurf bars under the rocker panels. It's a MUST on a Sidekick/Tracker, as the rocker pannel hangs down quite a bit.
In this form these trucks retain their factory reliability, which is quite good.
You can lift their suspention down the road if the clerance becomes too much of an issue for your particular needs...
Just remember, you will find conflicting stories about reliability of lifted Sidekicks.
I've heard of anything, from no problems at all to lots of problems witf T-case and driveshaft vibrations and noise, waring U-joints and CV joints, rear end bearings, alignment, tire wear and so on.
Myself, I had a 2.5 Pro comp lift, and I was fairly satisfied. I did have to replace one driveshaft U-joint, but after 250 000 that was not much of a surprise, and a couple of CV-joints. I am convinced, the CV's were a result of the suspention lift.
In the end, I would put a solid axle in one of those puppies...

------------------
If you didn't roll it, you havn't tried hard enough!

G

·
Don't forget the rear locker.
Since I put in mine it has just blown me away.
My oil leaks where...
-from the front cam and crank seals
-there's a large o-ring gasket between the block and the distributer housing(at the back of the block)
All this was a result of the previous owner running with no coolant(getting too hot).
I've noticed a lot of people spill when filling these things with oil 'cause of the filler position, so if you are just seeing oil on the back of the motor it may be part of the problem.

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
'89 Sidekick 3" body, 31'S
513's, E-Z Locker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.