BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do i find one and or how should i build one. It will be for a light weight trailer it will only. ever see camping gear and maybe one dirt bike. or no gear and two bikes.

can't find a good one. do i have to use a bolt pattern adapter?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Going through the same thing right now except 5x5.5"

This is what i have found in order to get your proper bolt pattern;

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/84550BX.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/Dexter/84556UC3.html

As far as mailing in specs to someone and picking up exactly what you want I've only got swings and misses to report thus far. Who woulda known giving someone my money would be so hard.

I'm probably going with the above route. I want a 4" rise axle, haven't figured out how I'm going to do that one yet.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got a couple custom trailer axels built by pacific axel and spring (years ago when they were still on the langley bypass) One of them had a 3500Lb straight axel with 1500Lb springs (750Lb each side) with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern because that is what I wanted...

edit: you can try them. I have no idea how they have been recently though
5755 203A Street
Langley, BC V3A 1W7
(604) 532-9599
Fax: (604) 530-7698

·
Registered
204 Posts
I welded stub shafts to a tube, and just use the same hub an rotor thats on my Blazer. I can even put disc brakes on it down the road if I want.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I got a couple custom trailer axels built by pacific axel and spring (years ago when they were still on the langley bypass) One of them had a 3500Lb straight axel with 1500Lb springs (750Lb each side) with a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern because that is what I wanted...

edit: you can try them. I have no idea how they have been recently though
5755 203A Street
Langley, BC V3A 1W7
(604) 532-9599
Fax: (604) 530-7698
called them,

3500#, 60" wms to wms, 4" rise with electric brakes and 5x5.5" bolt pattern, springs and perches supplied but not mounted - $675 :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

·
Registered
158 Posts
called them,

3500#, 60" wms to wms, 4" rise with electric brakes and 5x5.5" bolt pattern, springs and perches supplied but not mounted - $675 :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:
Yup, that's why one needs to shop around.

Princess auto 3500 axel with brakes $350
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/pro...es/3,500-lb-Trailer-Axle-Assembly-with-Brakes
U-bolt mounting kit - 2080027 $20
1750Lb double eye leaf spring $35 each
2pc single trailer axel hanger kit reg $25ea on sale now $12 each
total is $490 (using the non sale price on the mounting hardware)

So for an extra $185 you get exactly what you want... Perhaps another shop will bild exactly what you want for less?

·
Registered
870 Posts
My thinking is starting to lean towards using an early bronco 9". I have had a line on one for a little while now. 5:13's and a Detroit in it for $500. I could take that, sick it in my truck and then use the 9" that's in my truck for the trailer. $500 and I get a locker and a trailer axle. And this way I have spare axle parts with me whenever I'm out with the trailer.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
My thinking is starting to lean towards using an early bronco 9". I have had a line on one for a little while now. 5:13's and a Detroit in it for $500. I could take that, sick it in my truck and then use the 9" that's in my truck for the trailer. $500 and I get a locker and a trailer axle. And this way I have spare axle parts with me whenever I'm out with the trailer.
early bronco with a EFI 5 litre, bull low zf and 513 gears.... you won't really notice an extra 9" draggin along behind you. the 9" slides over rocks quite nicely anyway (which doesn't happen much with 37's)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help. with the cost of new axle im almost inclined to buy hubs and engineer my own independent suspension.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This is a pretty good option. If you get everything at princess and then add these your looking at $403 for a 4" rise/drop package and $273 for a straight axle package. Package being axle, hubs, spring, u bolt kit, hanger kit and the ebay hubs of desired bolt pattern to change over.

The straight axle is on sale right now for $109. That's crazy cheap. Really think I need the 4" rise though. I've got lots to keep me busy for the time being. Hopefully it goes on sale soon.

Wheel adapters really are not an option. As you can see as you posted above switching hubs is cheaper.

Also just for shits and giggles, what is everyone's opinion on wheel spacers/adapters on trailer axles? I brought it up a few years ago on another forum as i was looking to widen the deck on a trailer I had and was entertaining 2" spacers to get me 4 more inches between the fenders. Hands down everyone advised not to although I never remember any good reason.

Also what's the threshold that you would run without trailer brakes?

My quote above at Pacific was $675 and that included brakes. When you take into account the $403 at princess without brakes and I'd have to switch hubs and shorten the axle myself, like westcoaster said above for a minimal amount of more money, I get exactly what I need, no fuss, no muss.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
This is a pretty good option. If you get everything at princess and then add these your looking at $403 for a 4" rise/drop package and $273 for a straight axle package. Package being axle, hubs, spring, u bolt kit, hanger kit and the ebay hubs of desired bolt pattern to change over.

The straight axle is on sale right now for $109. That's crazy cheap. Really think I need the 4" rise though. I've got lots to keep me busy for the time being. Hopefully it goes on sale soon.

Wheel adapters really are not an option. As you can see as you posted above switching hubs is cheaper.

Also just for shits and giggles, what is everyone's opinion on wheel spacers/adapters on trailer axles? I brought it up a few years ago on another forum as i was looking to widen the deck on a trailer I had and was entertaining 2" spacers to get me 4 more inches between the fenders. Hands down everyone advised not to although I never remember any good reason.

Also what's the threshold that you would run without trailer brakes?

My quote above at Pacific was $675 and that included brakes. When you take into account the $403 at princess without brakes and I'd have to switch hubs and shorten the axle myself, like westcoaster said above for a minimal amount of more money, I get exactly what I need, no fuss, no muss.
i wouldn't bother with trailer brakes for what you're going to do

the reasons against using wheel spacers are mainly because you put more stress on your outer wheel bearings. in my opinion the extra stress is minimal considering the weight of the trailer. i wouldn't use wheel spacers on the front of a full size diesel truck. it's common for guys to run 1.5" wheel spacers when doing a solid axle swap on the front of a toyota pickup/4runner due to axle width differences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts