BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about reducing the amount of vehicles around my house for a while and am planning on selling my ford p/u and camper.

I've got an XJ that I was thinking of using to tow an utility trailer and maybe a small travel trailer.

What is the towing capacity of an XJ? 4.0ho, 5spd

I've got 3.54 in the axles and am right now running 31's and would upgrade to 4.10's for towing to get more power.

Has anyone towed travel trailers with their XJ's or YJ's??????

Rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Towing Capacity and Required Equipment

Towing maximum capacity is listed as 5000 lb for the XJ with 4.0 I-6 engine and automatic transmission. From memory (?), maximum capacity for the six cylinder with standard transmission was rated at 2,000 lb. I understand the weak link to be the clutch. Now the important stuff: the towing package (auto tranny) included a heavy-duty radiator (2 row, standard is one row), the second electric cooling fan (you have it if you have air conditioning), a 100 amp alternator, an auxiliary transmission cooler (real one out in front of rad, not that little deal in the rad), and synthetic gear lube in the rear axle (important for the higher operating temperatures when towing). I've towed around 3600 lb, and have no complaints in the power department. Braking is another story- our XJs are mediocre without a trailer. If pulling any weight (like anything weighing more than your grandmother) make sure the trailer has brakes- electric or surge, both work. Since the overall weight of an XJ is only about 3300 lb, you can get into situations where the trailer could steer you, if you get wild. Take it easy! 4xBob:canadian

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odd, I pulled the owners manuals for my Ford as well as my wife's MR2. The Ford as an auto can tow 100lbs less then the standard. 7800lbs and 7700lbs . The little MR2 can tow 1500lbs with a standard and 1000lbs with the autobox.......

Don't know why a XJ would have such a difference.

:help

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.