BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so myself and a friend will be going to Kelowna from Calgary and neither of us have done any offroading out there....so we need to know where to go? both IFS trucks nothing crazy both on 33's not looking for any huge obstacles just a couple days of moderate/mild wheeling, thanks for any info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used to have an F-150 4x4 running on 31's and no problem anywhere I went around Kelowna. I used to live there and went all over the place.
When are you planning on being there?
There are lots of good places, Gallagher's Canyon out McCulloch Road past the Gallagher's Canyon Golf Course. I personally love this area as I found lots of technical driving here.
There is also the cut line up the mountain south of Kelowna. You can get to it from Chute Lake road. This goes all the way to Penticton and crosses the Kettle Valley Railway. I don't recommend driving the KVR though, might piss a few people off...lol
I can give you decent directions to these places as long as I know when you are going there.
Do you have a Backroads Map of that area??

Let me know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
check out greystokes too. nice snowmobile cabin for sleeping in and wheeling that can get crazier if you want, but doens't have to. the road up is a little weird and it's not impossible to get lost your 1st time up there, so make sure you have a map book or a gps or a week of extra food and beverages. there is a once-road-but-now-trail that continues past greystokes lake that you can take until you make it through or feel like turning around. couldn't get far past the lake in october with a mostly stock 4runner, but saw a few sweet trucks having fun in the snow. no snow now though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Postill!!! its my favorite place to wheel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have an F-150 4x4 running on 31's and no problem anywhere I went around Kelowna. I used to live there and went all over the place.
When are you planning on being there?
There are lots of good places, Gallagher's Canyon out McCulloch Road past the Gallagher's Canyon Golf Course. I personally love this area as I found lots of technical driving here.
There is also the cut line up the mountain south of Kelowna. You can get to it from Chute Lake road. This goes all the way to Penticton and crosses the Kettle Valley Railway. I don't recommend driving the KVR though, might piss a few people off...lol
I can give you decent directions to these places as long as I know when you are going there.
Do you have a Backroads Map of that area??

Let me know.
I will be there next friday aft, I have no clue where these places you speak of are, both my friend and myself have gps'

·
Registered
217 Posts
A couple points here:
-The Greystokes are great, but its a park now and you are only allowed on 2 specific roads. Main road to Fishhawk lake and other road to Linden lake. The park is closed to wheeled vehicles otherwise because of people driving off the trails. If you (or anyone) goes there, pls be careful to stay on the designated routes. I'd hate to loose those too.
-Gallagers canyon is also cool but it is Westbank First Nations land now. They put up signs, someone tore them down. They put up a gate, someone cut it open... etc. Not sure what the situation is these days. Might be fine, might cause trouble.

I'd also suggest the Chute Lake area. As far as I know those trails are fair game. There are lots of nice trails and nice views with some rough spots. Just drive slow if you get on the KVR railbed so the peddlers dont get upset... and go super slow by the resort.
It's easy to find. Chute lake road starts in town and there are good town map books available in any gas station for free. There is a sign showing when to turn up the hill and this road will lead you to trails... or stay on that road, it gets pretty good too.

hopefully that helps a bit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
A couple points here:
-The Greystokes are great, but its a park now and you are only allowed on 2 specific roads. Main road to Fishhawk lake and other road to Linden lake. The park is closed to wheeled vehicles otherwise because of people driving off the trails. If you (or anyone) goes there, pls be careful to stay on the designated routes. I'd hate to loose those too.
it's true, these are the only legal roads to drive on, and i should have mentioned that. we tried to get up to linden lake and had to turn around 1/2 way because it was really dark and we weren't prepared for snow and my truck is not that kind of truck, and we stick to mild and open roads. the other road past greystokes lake is in worse condition, and we didn't even try it. it is important to respect road closures and park rules of course. don't ruin it for everyone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A couple points here:
-Gallagers canyon is also cool but it is Westbank First Nations land now. They put up signs, someone tore them down. They put up a gate, someone cut it open... etc. Not sure what the situation is these days. Might be fine, might cause trouble.

I'd also suggest the Chute Lake area. As far as I know those trails are fair game. There are lots of nice trails and nice views with some rough spots. Just drive slow if you get on the KVR railbed so the peddlers dont get upset... and go super slow by the resort.
It's easy to find. Chute lake road starts in town and there are good town map books available in any gas station for free. There is a sign showing when to turn up the hill and this road will lead you to trails... or stay on that road, it gets pretty good too.

hopefully that helps a bit.
the info does help a little...the only patr of Kelowna i have been to in the end of the city near the airport so that's the only area i slightly know. Is Chute lake road near there?

·
Registered
267 Posts
no, but postil is near the airport. to get to chute lake road, go south into kelowna and take a left on pandosy. it turns into lake shore. keep going straigh on it. it will turn into chute lake road just off the pavement. watch for gillard rd. too. same thing for a bit. just before you get to pandosy though, you will pass canadian tire and/or outdoor adventure gear. stop and get a backroad map book, it is highly recommended, especially since some of that area is park and TCT and does not allow vehicles.

·
Registered
165 Posts
i would highly suggest up Beaver Lake Road in lake country. from kelowna it is a highway drive about 10 min north, then turns to dirt. there is hundreds of miles up there everything from mud holes, technical trails, dirt roads, jumps, hill climbs w/e your fancy. + over 50 lakes for fishing.

i would be more than happy to bring you guys up and show you some stuff as its about a 3 min drive from my shack.

easiest way is to leave north from kelowna, as you enter winfield (now lake country) you get to your second set of lights entering town. there is a Gas Depot on your left, and a Shell gas on your right. turn right (beaver lake road) then just stay on that road and your set.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i would highly suggest up Beaver Lake Road in lake country. from kelowna it is a highway drive about 10 min north, then turns to dirt. there is hundreds of miles up there everything from mud holes, technical trails, dirt roads, jumps, hill climbs w/e your fancy. + over 50 lakes for fishing.

i would be more than happy to bring you guys up and show you some stuff as its about a 3 min drive from my shack.

easiest way is to leave north from kelowna, as you enter winfield (now lake country) you get to your second set of lights entering town. there is a Gas Depot on your left, and a Shell gas on your right. turn right (beaver lake road) then just stay on that road and your set.

I may have to take you up on that offer as i have no idea where these roads are you guys are talking about and a third truck is always good, we may go out friday afternoon and deff all of saturday and maybe a little on sunday morning too

·
Registered
165 Posts
i am busy tomorrow (friday) going up to big white. but im probly around all saturday. i would be up for a dart outta town saturday. my bronco leaf spring might break so good thing we got more than 1 truck haha.

i'll send you a pm with my number and if your still into it give me a call saturday around noon and we'll arrange somthing:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
267 Posts
we are gonna take some backroads from kelowna to penticton on sunday. gotta pick up some parts for my 4runner. chute lake and down to naramata then into penticton. nothing crazy, but more fun than the highway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts