BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do i get it off????
not enough room to get an airgun in there and a wrench just rounded the thin little head.

thx

------------------
email - [email protected]
*WANTED* any used winch or a deal on a new one
-Red 1988 short cab toyata v6 31's 3" lift
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
363 Posts
I soaked it for a couple days with penetrating fluid and then used a breaker bar with a 6 point socket (24mm I think?)

------------------
88 4runner, 22RE with some minor stuff done to it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried the same thing

bolt is kind of rounded from b4 and from me

------------------
-white 1992 dr650s, cobra exaust, jetted, stripped down, 14/47 gearing, trackmaster II's

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine's the same so I'm ignoring it.

Hammer / chisel?

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
go into jiffy lube and get them to deal with it.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ignoring it????
that cant be a good idea.
i have changed every fluid but that and i cant even check that.

what are the chances that is is low?

------------------

·
Registered
97 Posts
Weld another nut on there just so you can get the rounded one off. Could be a crappy weld, unless the check plug is really siezed in there.
Obviously it would only have to hold for one check, because its not worth putting the old one back in. IMO anyways...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good idea
do that fitrst thing in tha morn.

where can i get a replacment???
it the thred tapered?

------------------

·
Registered
802 Posts
And instead of putting that style plug back in, replace it with the low-profile Toyota plug that uses a 10mm Allen wrench instead of a socket. I don't have the p/n handy, but it looks just like 90341-18021 except it doesn't have the magnet (you don't want a magnet on the fill plug, just the drain plug). Buying a full set of hex fill and drain plugs for your tranny, xfer, and axle housings is cheaper than buying the big socket for the stock plugs.

And having posted that, somebody please post the p/n for the non-magnetic plug! Thanks.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i can get a set of the ones with a 10mm allen for cheap???

from yota??

thx

------------------

·
Registered
97 Posts
Id go to an auto parts store, almost ALWAYS cheaper than the dealer.
Dunno what they cost, never had to buy one. My bolt is fine, probably cause the guy I bought it from never checked or changed the fluid

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, they're cheap from Toyota; I paid Cdn$2 and change each for the 90341-18021 magnetic ones; All-Pro sells them for US$4.00. I haven't gotten around to buying the non-magnetic ones yet for the fillers.

Here's what they look like:

As you can see, they are low-profile so when they are installed on the bottom of the diff they are less likely to get hit by rocks (which loosens them).

And when rocks grind the protective ring on the diff so that it would be too close to get a socket onto the stock drain plug, you can still get these ones off because you aren't trying to place something around it. I remember working at the ring around my stock front drain plug with a die grinder so that I could fit a socket.

Cheap mod, highly recommended.

------------------
Greg Sue
85 Toyota X-cab
http://media-north.com/4wd/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Greg, what's wrong w/ using the magnetic ones on the filler holes? I used 'em on my truck thinking it'd be better since you'll have two magnets instead of one to catch metal particles.

------------------
1986 Toy pickup
Locked, geared, winched and EFI converted

1 - 14 of 14 Posts