BC 4x4 Forums banner

Tranny Gears

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  cwate 
#1 ·
How would I be able to figure out what gears are in my stock, 5 speed, 4cyl. tranny? Is there some trick or is there a tag on it that I could read?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

#3 ·
Originally posted by cwate:

Nah, that's what we're here for!

Your AX-5 tranny has:
1st - 3.93:1
2nd - 2.33:1
3rd - 1.44:1
4th - 1.00:1
5th - 0.79:1

Chris

The main reason I ask is that I was wondering if you could swap in a 6 speed tranny with different gears. This is mainly for highway cruising, and first gear will be lower than the stock first mainly for wheel'n. Almost like making second gear in the 6 speed like my stock first gear. I was thinking something like:

1st - 4.11
2nd - 2.88
3rd - 1.94
4th - 1.34
5th - 1.00
6th - .63

Mind you I have NO idea what realistic trans gears are/would be. I'm just using this chart as an example.

Do you guys have any idea of what I'm trying to ask??

:confused

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

#4 ·
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
How would I be able to figure out what gears are in my stock, 5 speed, 4cyl. tranny? Is there some trick or is there a tag on it that I could read?
For about $4000 US you can get a custom geared 5 or 6 speed trans from Richmond Gear.
Otherwise, a couple grand on custom adapters will let you swap in most any production unit, but new gears for the stock trans is not a sane idea. There are adapter kits available for several decent transmissions from Advance Adapter$ and the like, or you could swap the whole drivetrain to suit for a similar amount of $ usually. Going to a granny low 4spd or a common (eg: T-5) 5speed is somewhat cheaper, tho it won't get you what you seek, so just wheel and be happy :)

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

#5 ·
I didn't mean that I was planning on modifying or regearing my current trans. I would just completely replace it.

Do you know of any links that I could check out for more informaion on this? You said Richmond Gears and Advance Adapters, do they have a URL?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

#6 ·
Originally posted by cwate:

Nah, that's what we're here for!

Your AX-5 tranny has:
1st - 3.93:1
2nd - 2.33:1
3rd - 1.44:1
4th - 1.00:1
5th - 0.79:1

Chris

Then do you know what my t-case gears would be. I don't even know what model it is either.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

#7 ·
Low range on your NP231 transfer case is 2.72:1. High range is 1:1.

As for your imaginary tranny, the problem is that the costs involved in custom-made gears and tranny shafts are enormous, so we're pretty much stuck with whatever we find in the wrecking yards. That means you get to choose from whatever the factories put out.

There's 6-speed trannies out there, but they're generally either too small and with no low gears (Miata, Corvette), or they're extremely large/heavy/expensive (NV5600).

The trade-off with something like this is that a tranny with good strong gears is heavy and big. So your six-speed has to either get bigger and heavier, or the internal parts have to get smaller and lighter. Neither option is very attractive, so most of us opt for the heavy-duty 4-speeds (T18, NP435, SM465) to get a nice low first gear, and live without the overdrive gear. If you've got money to burn, you can have both in the form of an NV4500 or Clark 5-speed. Very hard to find, very expensive to buy and rebuild, and they're both pretty big and heavy.

AFAIK there are no practical options for 6-speed swaps for Jeeps. Any of you guys know of any?

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.