BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 83 Toyota SB. What kinda mods would I have to make in order to put a 84 or newer 5spd and transfer case into it? Any input is appreciated. And Josh keep your comments to yourself:~{

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Silver Bulllit:
I have an 83 Toyota SB. What kinda mods would I have to make in order to put a 84 or newer 5spd and transfer case into it? Any input is appreciated. And Josh keep your comments to yourself:~{
Please post your message in the appropriate forum...in this case, the Toyota forum. You'll get a faster response.

I am moving your topic now.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
302 Posts
heheheheheheheh thats why i am a rock monkey and you are a chimp

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
but your still a newbie as far as im concerened josh

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

G

·
I think that it might just be a matter of swapping out the old 4 speed and t-case and getting a donor. I am not sure about the t-case tho

------------------
88, Stock IFS, and I like it

·
1,269 Posts
I have no idea but I just thought I'd remind you that there are different trannies between the carbuerated (G52 transmission) and fuel injected (W56 transmission) models. This may or may not affect your swap.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
504 Posts
hmmm....just done a swaparooski myself,the trans is about 6"longer than the early models, if your getting a trany go for either the turbo 4cyl or the '87ish efi, they are waay stronger and if you get the turbo one its got a lower first gear too. they also have a removable bellhousing too, good for engine swaps.input bearing is the biggest improvement through the years, mine in my '87 efi trany is way bigger than my old 4 spd.you can tell the good tranies, they will have an all aluminum case where as the older 5 spds with the removable housings have a steel plate between the 2 housings. just my $.02

------------------
'81 yota, bobbed flt dck,22re,marlin,5.29,coils,locked and more

[This message has been edited by edilonzo (edited March 21, 2002).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your thoughts but this still didn't answer my question on what kinda mods need to be done. For example if the tranny is 6" longer then will driveshafts need lengthened and shortened....will the crossmember still line up? These are the answers I desire.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it's 6" longer you'll probably have to get a longer front dshaft made and shorten the rear. You'll probably have to make a new crossmember too. Most trucks with 4cyls don't use 5th all that much because of a lack of power (unless you're running stock tires), and 5th is the weak link in those trannies. I might not be the greatest upgrade unless you think you've got enough juice to use it.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

·
Registered
504 Posts
ok, here it is, youll have to move the x-member,resize driveshafts and cut more room in the cab for it all.wasnt a big deal for me cause i did a marlin too so i had to deal with the length thing already.as for overdrive, well worth it,i have a 22re and 33" tires with 5.29's and without overdrive the truck wont be able to hit the highway for long. o.d. will drop the rpm's about 200-250 rpm not much but it sure helps. o yeah, the trans may only be 3" longer, havent got out there to take a measurement

------------------
'81 yota, bobbed flt dck,22re,marlin,5.29,coils,locked and more

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.