BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok here goes...don't hurt me cause it's 2wd, but i have a 78 gmc sierra shortbox, 454 and i think a 10 bolt rear, as for my tranny, i think it's a 700-r4, am i right?
and if so i know the early ones were shiot...so here's where the question comes in, bought the truck it had just had the tranny rebuilt 3 weeks earlier, they put a shift kit in it, and it shifts really hard, when they were rebuilding it is it likely that they would have updated it with the later 80's apparently better 700 parts?
let me know, i'm a zuke boy just learning GM

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
94 Posts
it is a 700r if it has an overdrive,if not it is more likely to be a turbo 400 especially with the 454. you would think they`d use the newer parts if they were compatible.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No overdrive mon compadre, 3speed auto is the name of my game, so then u're saying it's a turbo 400? i haven't heard anything about that tranny? what's it like, how would i identify it

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
145 Posts
the th400 has a texas state shaped pan.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx guys i'll crawl down under tommorow and take a looksee

------------------
My british smile is due
to the fact that i eat
rocks 4 dinner!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by redeye_ksc:
thx guys i'll crawl down under tommorow and take a looksee

My rebuilt T400 (with no shift improvement kit I think) shifts pretty hard. I thought it was because of my 4:56 gears and small tires, but I guess they just do shift strong when rebuilt.

------------------
89 YJ, totally modified except for the axles. 76 Army 1 Ton Chevy Pickup. I like any kind of 4x4 and I love overengineering!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts