BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

i'm going to be removing my tranny this weekend from my jeep. this will be my first time dropping the tranny out of my jeep. any tips or tricks i should know before i start.

i've pulled lotsa tranny's outta VW's but not my Jeep. I've got a manual to follow.

tia

------------------
-James-
1988 YJ Laredo
[ ] | || || || [ ]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Contrary to what the manual tells you, you CAN take down the transmission & transfercase together at the same tim, u do NOT have to seperate them.
Here's how I do it in my jeep using a come-along winch.
You can either strap the comealong to the rollbars on the sides, or as I like to do it, lay some thick wood across the roll bars (so it goes right over the transmission and hang the comealong from there. once u got the tranny freed from the motor, u can just lower it down.
it also helps in putting the tranny back in. I've been able to aim it right in on the first time sometimes, other times it took me a good few hours and a lot of cussing before i finally managed to bolt it all back up.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
My own preference would be to pull the tcase out first just to make it easier (although more time consuming).

Not sure about your Peugot but with the AX15, there is a Torx bolt requiring a reverse torx E-12 socket near the top of the bellhousing. Better to know now than when you're working on your Jeep and the nearest tool store is 45 min away. <g>

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
690 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
My own preference would be to pull the tcase out first just to make it easier (although more time consuming).

Not sure about your Peugot but with the AX15, there is a Torx bolt requiring a reverse torx E-12 socket near the top of the bellhousing. Better to know now than when you're working on your Jeep and the nearest tool store is 45 min away. <g>

...lars

Yes Lars is correct, there are two of those e-12 bolts on the top of the tranny. You can also use a 12-point socket as well if handy. Also you can just unplug the CPS sensor on the upper drivers side of the bell-housing if your able to. I know some were directly wired into the copmuter making you have to remove the two bolts before removing the tranny.

Another good trick for aligning the tranny back up when installing, is to get two longer( about 3-4") side bolts, cut the heads off of them and put a notch in the top for a flat head screw driver. Then install them and that way you can slide the tranny on them and only have to worry about the angles up and down to mate it back up again.

I also found that leaving the cross-memeber on gave me something to hold on to while I pulled the tranny out and pushed it in.

HTH
Ryan
-Done this way too many times that it seems as easy as an oil change-

------------------
'88 MJ ~6" Lift. 4.10 fr&rr, 33" Mud King XT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts