BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello boys and girls.

first off, this question stems from a dream i had last night and i don't know the answer so i thought i'd ask.

i have an 86 IFS 4runner, basically stock.

what i want to know, is if for some reason i needed some extra torque at the rear wheels could i just shift to 4lo while my hubs were unlocked?

and also, if i only had one hub locked and i was in 4x4 would this cause any damage?

the reason i ask is because i had a dream where i was trying to pull a stump out of some pavement while turning a corner, so i shifted to 4lo (for some gear reduction and less wear on my clutch)without locking the front and tried to rip the stump out. it didn't work. so, in my dream i locked one front hub and tried again. i got the stump out but my front wheels caught on fire and dead frogs started pouring out from my front suspension area, indicating that i've blown up my front drivetrain.

so, it got me curious to a question i don't know the answer to.

Mioshi.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Man, first of, you are creeping me out, my god, the dream, the frogs...
Anyway, your first question: the answer is yes. Of course, when you shift to four low and your hubs are unlocked your T case will reduce your final drive ratio, which means you will get 2.26 times more tourque ( I believe this is the Toyota low range reduction).
Question two: NO. I judge by your question that you don't do a lot of offroading, so you most likly dont have a locker up front. What that means is that if you only locked one hub, your open diff would send all the power to the axle which is unlocked, which would be the same as not having any hub locked. Effectively, you would still be in 2WD. Doing so may not catch your wheels on fire and I can assure you the frog thing wont happen, however you may demage something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts