BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the rear seal on the transfer case this week. I blew it wheeling this weekend, which sucks because I just replaced the front one two weeks ago.

Is it just as easy? I know with the front, I just had to unbolt the driveshaft, (front and rear), then take off the thingamajig, remove the seal, and put in a new one. Is there any problems with the rear? I'm running a stock np231 and when I looked at it this morning, I know I can unbolt the ubolt on the rearend of the driveshaft, but the front ubolt isn't bolted to the thingamajig (yoke?) Is there anytihng else I'll need to do? This is obviously my first time changing the rear seal, but I think it's as easy as this. PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - unbolt the driveshaft from the diff.

2 - pull out of xfer case and watch for fluid pouring in my eyes.

3 - yank out old seal

4 - pound in new seal

5 - shove in driveshaft and bolt back to diff.

I know I'm a dumbass, but I'd rather do it right, and I'm sure there are more dumbasses out there who will need to d othis in the future. (I can't afford to have a shop do any work for me anymore) - Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ya that is about it as far as I can remember, it has been a while since I did one. Lift the back end of the Jeep up so fluid doesn't run out when you pull the drive shaft out. This probably wont be the last time you do it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Q said:
This probably wont be the last time you do it.
Nah. I blew the rear one twice before, but like I said, I can't afford to bring it into a shop anymore. I'm sure everyone here can understand that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh-oh. the YJ faq had the info (again)

I know lars is going to get mad at me and post this link, so I'll do it for him:
Changing xfer case seals

·
Registered
108 Posts
don't forget to lube the lip of the seal before you stick the yoke back in. (post count goes up heh-heh)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts