BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a transfer case from a 89' fit into a 94 without mods. Or will i need to change the input shaft. the transfer case has a sye kit already installed, or is it not worth my effort for abuse and mileage that it has already taken over its life.

Thanks
Trev

------------------
94' YJ 4' lift 33's and not enough gearing, boo

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by T.McD:
will a transfer case from a 89' fit into a 94 without mods. Or will i need to change the input shaft. the transfer case has a sye kit already installed, or is it not worth my effort for abuse and mileage that it has already taken over its life.
If they're both 4-cyl or they're both 6-cyl then they should swap just fine. You can always move the SYE kit from the old case to the new case, too, if both main shafts have the same input spline count. Or if the SYE kit is the kind where you cut and tap the output shaft, you can just cut and tap the '94's shaft and then move the SYE kit to it.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
397 Posts
The input shaft spline counts should be the same, but there's a chance that even if the '89 was a 6cyl, it may have been mated to a Peugeot tranny, in which case it will have the 21-spline input gear. If your '93 has the 6-cyl engine, you need a 23-spline input gear, so be sure to count the splines on the '89.

I think the early vs late-model mainshafts had some differences, and may not be compatible. Sorry, I don't know which year the split was... So it might be best to swap the whole case if you can manage it, though it may be possible to swap the input gears...

Chris (confused yet?)

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Sorry not to say that both units are 6 cyl. The info will really help. I will count the splines just to make sure. If all else fails i will just take the sye off the old unit and install it in the 94.

BTW
the guy wants $250 for unit off of the 89', Is this a desent price, and how much would a new sye unit without driveshaft cost, if anyone knows?

Thanks
Trev

------------------
94' YJ 4' lift 33's and not enough gearing

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by T.McD:
Sorry not to say that both units are 6 cyl. The info will really help. I will count the splines just to make sure. If all else fails i will just take the sye off the old unit and install it in the 94.
Well, it may not be that easy. If the old mainshaft is a 21-spline and the new one is 23-spline, then you can't simply move the SYE kit from one to the other. Or maybe you can. It depends what kind of SYE kit you have. If it's the kind where you have to cut/drill/tap the main shaft, then you can do it. If it's something like an MIT kit or something else where it uses splines and external threads that were cut into the main shaft, then you can't (unless you're a machinist).

My memory fails me here but isn't the main shaft and input shaft the same thing, all part of a single unit? Or can you change the input shaft by itself?? It's been many years since I pulled mine out so I don't remember for sure.

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would think that the rear of the T-case would be the same from 4-6 cyl so if the kit is like mine then you can change it over to the other case. The price on the kits is around 330 bucks for the cut and tap kit. You can tell by looking at the kit if there is a red flange folloewd by a silver one where the shaft mates then you may have the re 1801 not sure who else makes one.. But the better unit where you swap the whole shaft is about 700 bucks big jump. [more strenght] Hope this helps a little more..

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All the info was great, but the deal was not as good as it seems, so i'm looking in different direction.

Thanks Trev

------------------
94' YJ 4' lift 33's and not enough gearing

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by cwate:

The main and ipnut shafts are separate pieces, so you ought to be able to just swap the input shafts (21 for 23 spline).
Thanks for confirming that, Chris. I'll try to remember that in the future.

And Jason, damn you for using such a ridiculously large profile image!!!

...lars

------------------

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts