BC 4x4 Forums banner

Transforming a Stock Sammy...

948 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sniffy 
#1 ·
Ok if you've read below lately you will know I am lookin for a sammy. Preferably bush ready, but I am now starting to think about getting a stock one and moding it up myself. Wondering if anyone might have some tips on what to do first, second third etc, and if your really in the know, approx cost on what it would be to get one to a pretty nice Offroad stage.

Thx guys I appreciate it.
-Paul

#2 ·
OK
1- Make sure the mechanical is perfect. No sense tricking out a truck only to have some previously easy and cheap part fail... 50 miles out. Pay the $60 and get some place to check it out with a prepurchase inspection. WELL WORTH THE CASH!

2- Ok, now you are at the start point. Tires. 31x10.50 ia a good size that won't weaken a stock system and it is still streetable. If you have stock rims, get ones with a wider offset for stability. Take off the rim and put a straight edge across the back bead (not the bead lip. that will add 1/2" to the measurements) then measure down to the back of the hub flange. This is called the back spacing and you want as little as possible. little back spacing = more rim hanging past the hub which = wider axle width.
Rim/tires = $800

3- Sring over. This is where having the wider axle width really is important! Breeze will do a good job complete with shock pins and d/shaft spacers for around the $800- $1K area, depending on what you want done. check out their web page.

4- Rock lobster Transfercase. 4:1 ratio in L/range. 'Nuff said.
Depending on what you have and can do your self.... $200 to $600

5- 1.6 T/diesel or 1.6 sprint 16 valve.any where from $1500 to $3000. A good 1.3 will do just fine though!

------------------
have acreage , will fill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.