BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there anyway to tell if a tranny is in good shape or a real piece of crap just by inspecting it??, I can pick up a 5 speed tranny from one of my buddies and I know how he drives and I know the truck that it's comming out of and lets just say that he is not the most catious of all drivers, so I'm a little worried about how good his tranny is gonna be, any input would be great

------------------
84 bronce II, soon to be lifted (wishfull thinking), kick ass stereo.

·
Basic Baboon
183 Posts
Originally posted by Wackston:
is there anyway to tell if a tranny is in good shape or a real piece of crap just by inspecting it
Well, the best way is to pull the cover off and look inside. However, here's a few other things I do:

1. Pull the drain plug. If it's magnetic, check for sparklies (bits of metal) on it. Or, stick your finger in the hole and rub it around in the bottom of the case to see what you pick up. Roll it between your fingers; sometimes, you can't see the grit real well, but you can feel it on the ridges of your fingertips.
2. Work it thru all the gears. See how it feels. The non-syncronized gears (reverse and first, if any) might take a bit of wiggling to get in, but not too much. The rest should stick just a bit at first, then drop in, and none should feel like they're going to pop out easily.
3. Grip the input shaft with one hand, and the output with the other, and turn the shafts. Do this with the transmission in neutral and in each of the gears. Feel for looseness (play), and grating feelings. See if the shafts will wiggle up-and-down or sideways (much easier on the input than the output. (It's not uncommon for the input shaft to wiggle just a little bit.) If you can, pop off the tail housing and the input bearing retainer, and wiggle the shafts again while you watch the bearings.
4. Check for oil leaks. Chances are, if there's oil leaks, the transmission has been run dry, or nearly dry, for awhile, regardless of how much fluid is in it now.

------------------
--C.J. Ford
http://cjford.stormloader.com
1993 F250 -- The Daily Driver
1985 CJ-7 -- The Project
1996 Thunderbird -- The "Other Vehicle"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts