BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a chev 305 in my 1978 FJ40 cruiser with my stock 4spd toyota transmission bolted up to it.
i think its time to upgrade it to a chevy automatic trany. im sick of the standard.

Does any one have advise or know what type of automatic chev transmission i should look for, (used in good shape)???? the 305 is a 1978 engine as well. im not sure if the bolt up pattern has (trany to engine) changed after 78 or before 1988

------------------
78FJ40 w/ chev V8 etc etc etc....

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
you should be able to bolt up a turbo350 tranny to that... i know at work we use old elcamenos and malibus as service cars, they all have 305s in the mand use a 350 tranny.
if you want overdrive you could go to the 700r tranny but these arnt as desirable as the 350 t's, theyre weaker and more problematic.

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
also if your buying from the wreckers try to find one that has the atf fluid in it, check for color (mmmm candy red, yeuch... doesnt taste like candy) and check to see if it smells burned. if your really feeling enerjetic pull the pan and check for any signs of metalic crap/deposits
hope this helps

------------------

83 toyota SB/89 efi/8.5" lift/5:29+elocker/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou for the info.. one more ques,
on the turbo 350 does the front and rear drive shaft come out of the transfer case on the passenger, driver side or the centre,. what year of trany????? mabey from 1980, 1988 ummmm ,

------------------
78FJ40 w/ chev V8 etc etc etc....

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
not sure what side they go off, maybe a post in the chevy setion would provide more details???

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Why not bolt up a sm465 or 420? There are lots of adapters to bolt it to your t-case.
And you can use a chevy bellhousing and clutch.
You will get a first gear of 7-1 with the 420,or 6.5-1 with the 465.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chev's are a passenger side output. You could get a th350-205, but I don't know why you would, those cruisers 4spds are awesome tranny's. The 420s and 465s shift way slower and the ratios are way too spread apart.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

1 - 7 of 7 Posts