BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1990 4Runner 22RE 5 Sp 3" Body Lift 33x12.50 on 10" Rims.

I find those tires are rubbing on sharp turns so I increased the tension on my torsion bars to where there is about 1/2" left of thread on the bolt. Now it rubs even more so, seems to have moved the tire back instead of down.

Anyway, where does one make that cut to their fender behind the Front wheel so I can eliminate the rubbing and not make my truck look stupid? How do I make it look good after I hack it? Any good photos online showing it done right?

Thanks

------------------
Pony

·
1,269 Posts
Do you know what the backspacing on your rims is? It could be as simple as changing rims.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm I don't know at this time. I just bought the tires and rims new 4 months ago, cheap steal ones for about $350 and Geolanders for a lot more. My fenders are pretty rusty and I'll be having them repaired by a trusty friend and his welding torch; thought I could then cut the fenders cause they aren't in the best shape anyway. If I were to replace the fenders then I may choose a different option.

If however, a different 10" rim would fit my truck better, then I may go that route and sell my 4 month old steal rims. You know the ones the tire shops sell for about $110 each.

First time 4Runner owner and loving my new $X$ every day

------------------
Pony

·
1,269 Posts
Well the rim thing was just a thought. Do the rims stick out alot? Backspacing is the number of inches between the back part of the rim where the studs go (near the middle of the rim) to the outside edge of the rim. If you have a relatively high backspacing (ie. 4") it can cause some rubbing with bigger tires. Although, if your fenders are rusty then now's a great time to cut cut cut.

------------------

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
so is the tire rubbing the fender or the fire wall? there is a fix for the fire wall problem
check out offroad.com under their trail toy build up.... will find the location later

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, your input is appreciated. The rims do have about 4" from lug nuts to bead. The rubbing isn't the firewall but the outer edge of the fender, bottom, behind front tire. Lot's of room in front of tire. Is there a way to move the tired forward 1-2"?? Don't think so without heavy Mods. If I had 8" rims with 9.50s I'd probably not have this problem.

Yes they do "stick out" from the fender - about 4-5" from fender to outer sidewell of tire. This is why I took Gregs advice and bought some fender flare material from FG Russel. The problem is due to fender rust my sheet metal screws need to be strategically placed. Have yet to install them.

A suspension lift would solve all this and I want 4" worth BUT..... Cost is the issue at this time so I'll stay with the body lift only for now.

------------------
Pony

·
1,269 Posts
Perhpas a rim with a backspacing of 3.5" might solve your problem? The tires would really need flares then. Just a thought.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.